Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » We all knew this would happen sooner or later.

Author Topic: We all knew this would happen sooner or later.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The French police confiscated 5 grams of weapons grade uraninum from a few wierdos in a van on a Paris street. Here is the link below, however, sense this story has yet to show up on English sites, this link is in French. Don't worry. Below it I've included a link to a translation site.

http://www.france2.fr/infosgen/news-fr/104.htm

www.freetranslation.com

I'm curious. How much weapons grade uranium is needed to create a bomb?

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot more than 5 grammes.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MIB
Ex-Member

That's good news at least. But you know what they say. Every little bit helps/counts. That depends on which version you use.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh pooh. It's just free enterprise at work. Right Omega?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

MIB
Ex-Member

*as Omega* Why of coarse!! We need to get a uranium trade going amung the people. The taxes we can charge on it can give W a bigger excuse to make the worthless tax cut bigger, not to mention the fact that we can expand funding for the Star Wars defense system that doesn't do squat against nukes coming in via truck.

Sorry Omega. No hurt feelings intended. I'm just having some fun before my lynching and painful execution.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to burst your bubble, MIB. 5 grams of U235 (or other fissionable material) does not need to be made into a bomb to be a weapon of mass destruction.

If the metal were ground into a fine powder, and then introduced into the city's water supply, they could kill or maim hundreds or thousands.

Hardly funny.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIB, you're an idiot. You do realize that, don't you?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MIB
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
If the metal were ground into a fine powder, and then introduced into the city's water supply.

Ahh yes. Radiological weapons. It's such a nasty way to die. I don't think I spelled radiological correctly.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think radiological's a word at all.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like one right there on the screen.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radiological: ra-dio-log-i-cal
Function: Adjective
Date: 1909
1: of or relating to radiology
2: of or relation to nuclear radiation

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a show about WMD (weapons of mass destruction) they had things like arsenic, and cyanide. real nasty stuff, not to mention the nukes, and pioson gas. it was pretty cool. it had cool CG models on how nuclear fallout would spread acording to wind patterns. and stuff

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI I'm not sure but I think the critical mass of Uranium (235) is about 10kg.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps