Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bush is on the right track (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bush is on the right track
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that Bush canceled the Clinton/Gore plan with his. He could've kept the Clinton/Gore plan, then introduced fuel cells down the road ... instead, by completeing doing away with Clinton/Gore, he's effectively shown what he thinks of the enviornment: nothing.

OK, let's do this again.

Clinton plan: lower emission cars are introduced ~2012, probably leading to somewhat lower polution rates; fuel cells aren't introduced until at least 2020, quite possibly later, depending on how long it takes to develop them.

Bush plan: fuel cells are introduced as soon as feasable, leading to major reduction in polution

Bush cut out an unnecessary, costly, time-consuming, minimaly effective middle step. If given the choice between getting fuel cells in, say, ten years, and slightly less polluting cars in twelve, I'll take the fuel cells. It's called logic.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bush plan: fuel cells are introduced as soon as feasable, leading to major reduction in polution
Nice try, Omega. Under Bush plans, fuel cells won't be introduced (at the earliest) for a period of time between one and a half and two decades. In other words, the same space of time. And in the meantime, Big Oil still gets to stuff its wallet.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that is different from the Clinton plan... how?

OK, so we've got two plans. The only differences appear to be what technology is implemented, and who implements the plans themselves. Who should be irrelevant, so we'll assume that it is. All other things being equal, the superior technology should be implemented. Thus, the more recent plan is superior.

Yet again I will ask, what is your problem with the change?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And that is different from the Clinton plan... how?
The Clinton plan would've increased gas mileage on vehicles in the meantime. That means we'd be buying LESS oil. This has already been gone over in clear detail.

quote:
Yet again I will ask, what is your problem with the change?
That Bush jr. doesn't seem to want the Clinton/Gore plan to carry us over from where we are now to the fuel cells. So, basically, he bought Big Oil a lot of breathing room. Joy.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

Pardon, but didn't you say that they would have gone into effect at the same time?

Of course, this is all irrelevant, because technological developments don't operate according to a timeclock...

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Pardon, but didn't you say that they would have gone into effect at the same time?
You know, I sometimes think beating my head against a brick wall would be easier then having a conversation where Omega actually reads.

The fuel cells, YES.

But the Clinton/Gore plan called for cars which got better gas mileage WITHOUT those cells ... so what you would have had were automobiles requiring less gas until fuel cells came into useage.

?Comprende?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only LEV I've seen so far is a Rolls Canardly.

Rolls down one hill, Can 'ardly get up the next.

Of course, more efficient car engines won't affect the price of gas in the slightest, it'll just mean that the Oil Companies have longer before their supply becomes a problem... longer to lobby for increased protection, just what the Dems don't want.

If the cut of the "efficient" program by eight years and the redirection of funds leads to the fuel cell coming even a year earlier, It will be better in the long term for the environment than eight years of slowly 'phased in' higher efficiency.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Of course, more efficient car engines won't affect the price of gas in the slightest, it'll just mean that the Oil Companies have longer before their supply becomes a problem... longer to lobby for increased protection, just what the Dems don't want.
Well, since our Republican president had no problem tossing the Clinton/Gore plan out, what do they need to lobby against?

quote:
If the cut of the "efficient" program by eight years and the redirection of funds leads to the fuel cell coming even a year earlier, It will be better in the long term for the environment than eight years of slowly 'phased in' higher efficiency.
Apparently Clinton and Gore wanted to give Big Oil and its employees enough time to realize a big change was coming so they could all secure new jobs ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, since our Republican president had no problem tossing the Clinton/Gore plan out, what do they need to lobby against?
The Republican one, of course. They don't want change AT ALL. If they can get up to keep going back and forth from plan to plan, nothing will get done.

quote:
Apparently Clinton and Gore wanted to give Big Oil and its employees enough time to realize a big change was coming so they could all secure new jobs ...
And as you've said before, the time frame hasn't changed. The elimination of the 'efficient' engine plan just gives them more time to stock up more funds before the hard times hit.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
And as you've said before, the time frame hasn't changed. The elimination of the 'efficient' engine plan just gives them more time to stock up more funds before the hard times hit.
Yeah, Rob, so, like has been said before, Bush bought Big Oil more time. You apparently don't disagree with that, yet we've just spent two full pages of Flare text argueing about it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was proposed that we would have viable fusion power by 1998. but i think we're still a ways off. but we'll get it eventually. i'd like to be able to use tap water to power a small fusion generator in my house someday. instead of having to pay a water and power bill, it'd only be a water, all the power companies would have died out... heh heh heh

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Omega
Member # 91

Except, of course, the companies that built the fusion generators...

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not up on American gasoline, but did you change over to unleaded petrol like Europe did?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

And fusion is only twenty years away at best, and has been for the past fifty years...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I messed up.

it should have said:

And as you've said before, the time frame hasn't changed. The elimination of the 'efficient' engine plan just gives them greater profits, an opportunity to stock up more funds before the hard times hit.

So while he did not buy them 'more time,' he did buy them 'greater profits.'

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps