Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Why Not? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why Not?
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this out *there* somewhere. Enjoy!

An interesting proposition:

To ensure we never offend anyone - particularly fanatics intent on killing
us - airport screeners will not be allowed to profile people. They will
continue random searches of 80-year-old women, little kids, airline pilots
with proper identification, Secret Service agents who are members of the
President's security detail and 85-year oldCongressmen with metal hips.

Pause a moment and take the following test.

In 1979, the U.S. embassy in Iran was taken over by:
(a) Norwegians from Ballard;
(b) Elvis;
(c) A tour bus full of 80-year-old women; or
(d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40.

In 1983, the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:
(a) A pizza delivery boy;
(b) Crazed feminists screeching that being able to throw a grenade beyond
its own burst radius was an unfair and sexist requirement in basic training;
(c) Geraldo Rivera making up for a slow news day; or

In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:
(a) Luca Brazzi, for not being given a part in "Godfather 2;"
(b) The Tooth Fairy;
(c) Butch and Sundance who had a few sticks of dynamite left over from the
train thing; or

In 1998, the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:
(a) Mr. Rogers;
(b) Hillary, to distract attention from Wee Willie's women problems;
(c) the WWF, to promote its next villain: "Mustapha the Merciless;" or

On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked and destroyed by:
(a) Bugs Bunny,
(b) the Supreme Court of Florida trying to outdo their attempted hijacking
of the 2000 Presidential election;
(c) Mr. Bean; or

How'd you do? Did you detect a pattern that would indicate we'd better take
a close look at a certain type of individual who might be boarding an
airplane with something on his mind other than "What's the in-flight movie?"

You think so?

Horrors! You're nothing more than a closet racist who could never be hired
as an official federal airport screener.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's very nice, except for one thing. The objections are to Arabs being singled out as possible terrorist. Here's a news flash for you.

Muslims are white and black and every race on this world. There's a big deal being made about the al_Queda cell in the Philipeanes.

You gotta profile EVERYBODY who tries to get on an airplane. Anyone who says otherwise is an ignorant pig fucker.

[ February 28, 2002, 10:07: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C,B,C,A,B

How did I do, did I pass.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, was there not a time when a group of black Muslims took hostages in NY or DC? Not all Muslim terrorists are arabic. Drawing an even more general profile would be absurd.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
As I recall, was there not a time when a group of black Muslims took hostages in NY or DC? Not all Muslim terrorists are arabic. Drawing an even more general profile would be absurd.

Sorry, try as I might I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you agreeing that attempting to categorise Arabic-looking adult males is a pointless exercise because not all Muslim extremists look like them, and therefore any such profiling should be abandoned; or, are you saying that trying to widen the parameters of who could be a Muslim extremist would be so futile that they might as well just carry on with the current policy and discriminate against Arab males?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, neither, really. Profiling to some degree may be warranted, but not at the expense of filtering eveyone. Sorry I didn't make that very clear.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still think we should bulldoze the Arab world and build something worthwhile there instead.. maybe a big tower of popsicle sticks.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Your ability for reasoned argument never ceases to amaze.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
still think we should bulldoze the Arab world and build something worthwhile there instead.. maybe a big tower of popsicle sticks.

Yeah, because nothing good EVER came out of the Islamic world. DAMN them for giving us their number system! And how DARE they preserve knowledge & be a major source of civilization while western Europe wallowed in the Dark Ages & the collapse of the Roman Empire (which, I might add, it's STILL suffering from).

Damn Islamites. We should just kick 'em all out & turn the place into a big-ass theme park. Pave the desert. Serve falafel with ears.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually i think all of mankind is a disease on the face of the Earth. I would say wipe out the whole mess, but then my glasses would probably break and i wouldnt be able to read anymore.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in the same bitterly tounge-in-cheek way: What have they done for us lately?
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Seems to me that it is the US that everyones always pissed off at so if we bulldoze the US then everyone else can live happily ever after.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be happy if somebody just takes out McDonald's.

Maybe Arkansas, too. Tension would decrease across the board if that were gone.

Fuck it, Texas, too.

Member # 480

BTW: I should clarify...I only found that multple choice thing above. I neither agree nor disagree with what it says. But I think it does raise an interesting question, thus, here it is.

It comes from a humor website, but the guy who runs it is a, shall we say, rather Passionate American. There is no doubt in my mind that he means everything he says.

Regarding the idea behind it, which is racial profiling in airports, I'm a mixed bag of thoughts.

Realizing that there was an actual argument on this forum over whether or not a man who needed to take a piss had a right to in the last minutes of his flight, I thought that you folks might have something to say.

I have to admit being pretty shaky with the thing, myself. Racial Profiling may or may not be Wrong, but this seems to advocate taking it further, into Religous Profiling. If that happens, the shit is going to hit the fan.

One way or the other.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will admit to doing a certain sort of racial profiling myself.

For those who aren't in the know, I'm an assistant manager at an inconvenience store in a Major College Town. I work the overnight shift, & my store is in the middle of off-campus housing. As you can well imagine, there can be some OH-so-fun incidents.

I am a constant source of annoyance, amazement, & amusement to my boss. During one of our many discussions about how he feels I should conduct myself while on duty, I mention that I do indeed perform profiling. I told him that I never have trouble from blacks. I never have trouble from Asians. I never have trouble from Hispanics or Arabs (although the latter stink a lot as they seem to forgo bathing in favor of a shitload of cologne).No, the ones I keep my eye on, the ones I watch like a hawk, raise my wings over, & go to Yellow Alert over are white males ages 18 to 25. They're the ones who are always acting like assholes, thinking they have something to prove, & without fail get belligerent whenever I refuse to take their shit.

So yes, I admit that I discriminate. But it's justified, I think.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps