Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Britain plans to destroy world (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Britain plans to destroy world
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'm saying is that some people are trying to lay this on Bush II, but the truth is it's always been this way. That you didn't know that is not the fault of this administration.

I stayed out of the other thread because I was ASKED to politely, and unlike some other people, I actually made an effort to comply.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
quote:
, perhaps Blair will be on his knees
So Dubya's into that kind of thing, huh? [Smile]
Headline from the Telegraph (I'm not joking here): 'Blair is Bush's Lewinsky.' If it's in the Telegraph it must be true [Big Grin] .

Actually on the 'first strike' thing, American policy in the late 40s was, if the Soviets invaded Western Europe or even if the US decided the Soviet Union needed to be disposed of (a popular view at the time, Gen. Patton wanted to take his army 'On to Moscow' when Germany surrendered) was that a nuclear blitz accross Eastern Europe and into the Soviet heartland. There was (as you can imagine) concern about this policy in many European counties, one observer said that Washington was prepared to fight the USSR 'to the last German'.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that the USSR didn't have any nuclear capability at the time, it would have been the best time to do that.. of course, the US only had two bombs at that time, as well, and we'd already used them.

I've heard historians argue for both the positive and negative aspects such an attack might have had. It might have destroyed Communism... or it might have bogged the US/Other allies down in the deadly Russian winter.

From the number of troops that the Russians had sacrificed to make their gains, though, the poor shape that they were in (not to mention the famous story about the first Russian troops arriving in Berlin, and mistaking a flush toilet bowl for a sink) it's possible that they might have been pushed back. We'll never know.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
of course, the US only had two bombs at that time, as well, and we'd already used them.
Three, actually. Why does everyone forget Arizona?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you thought the ruskies were backwards in world war two. In world war one they had to charge the german lines just to get some clothes, and bullets, the average russian soldier during world war one usually only got 5 or 6 bullets, it was up to them to scavenge more, either from dead soldiers, or stealing them from thier own troops. I wonder how they managed to fight the germans for as long as they did. and i'm surprised there wasn't a german flag flying from the (then) capital of St. Petersburg.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why does everyone forget Arizona?"

Because nothing interesting happened there? New Mexico, on the other hand...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Given that the USSR didn't have any nuclear capability at the time, it would have been the best time to do that..

That was the point...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I stayed out of the other thread because I was ASKED to politely, and unlike some other people, I actually made an effort to comply.
Chapeau, Rob. Thank you. [Smile]
Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... I think I'll put my hat on again. What a shame.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I'm sorry. I should have started my own thread. It's a shame to close yours. [Frown]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps