Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Big oil for everybody! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Big oil for everybody!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Energy companies (and genetic engineers) are quite perfectly qualified to say "we can do this, and we can do that, and we can do the other" yet where they fall down is on the question of whether or not they should do this, that and the other.

This is where environmentalists come in. Of course they're extremists of another kind altogether, so whatever they say has to be taken with a hefty pinch of salt. But it can't be passed off as a coincidence that the current administration, comprised of representatives of the party of big business, is parroting whatever big business has to say about energy policy.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Lee.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the phrase, follow the money...

quote:
The industry representatives who met with the energy secretary have financial ties to the Bush administration and Republican Party. From 1999 to 2002, the 103 individuals and organizations donated more than $22 million to GOP causes, compared with $7 million to the Democrats, the [Center for Responsive Politics ] reported.
from the Atlanta Constitution Journal.

Contributions Related to Energy Task Force Meetings Attended by Energy Secretary Abraham, 1999-2002: Department of Energy Meetings List.

Some hard facts:

Department of Energy's Summary of Task Force Meetings
Attended by Energy Secretary Abraham: Contributions Related to Energy Task Force.

It seems to me little wonder why the present administration is trying to hide who it met with.

quote:
Opening the deliberative process to more contrarian views would probably not have deflected Mr. Bush's advisers from the aggressively pro-industry strategy they favored from the start, a strategy that relies heavily on increasing supplies of traditional fossil fuels like oil, natural gas and coal. Still, it is distressing that on a matter of this magnitude so few opposing voices were heard. It is no less disturbing that the industries that had the most to gain — many of them major campaign contributors — played such an intimate and influential role in conceiving the final product.
from a NY Times, 28 March 2002 editorial.

[ March 29, 2002, 14:56: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps