Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Public Record of Israel's Human Rights Abuses (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Public Record of Israel's Human Rights Abuses
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol's taste for obscure alternative bands nobody's ever heard of once again shows.

Though anything is better than Titney's music.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only one of those bands I know anything about is TMBG, and I wouldn't call them "pop". Don't you have to play a style of music that's actually popular in order to be called "pop"?

[ April 01, 2002, 15:36: Message edited by: TSN ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pop = juicy, sugary guitar lines, and a general "poppy" feel. Pop music can be brilliant, as in those examples, or mindbendingly awful, as in what you would hear on your top 40 station. But bad pop is still pop. Or, more importantly, good pop is still pop.

And none of those bands are obscure. TMBG won a Grammy, for Tim's sake! You can't get more pop than that. The Apples in Stereo are on the Powerpuff Girls soundtrack. We're not exactly dealing with Godspeed You Black Emperor! or Einsturzende Neubauten here.

Ok, so maybe Elf Power is a bit on the obscure side.

And I really love saying pop. Pop novel. Pop art. Pop pop pop.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...a general 'poppy' feel."

I've never gotten that from TMBG. Unless you mean it sounds like they were taking opium when they wrote the songs, which is possible...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The only one of those bands I know anything about is TMG, and I wouldn't call them "pop". Don't you have to play a style of music that's actually popular in order to be called "pop"?"

Popular with whom? By that criteria, R&B over here could be classified as pop.

And it can be. Pop can be used as a definition in the same way that classical can. As a catch-all, or as a more specific definition. So in the same way that classical can just refer to the Mozart era of music, and it can also be defined to include Romantic, Baroque and Modern; pop music can be defined either as basically "not classical" (which would include Rock, Dance, and others), or it can be as Simon described it.

"Though anything is better than Titney's music."

Insulting something by HILARIOUSLY changing their name makes you look really cool. Honestly. It does. Why don't you follow it up with an amusing post about Windoze? Or Prolestation owners? The merriment would surely cause a mass splitage of sides.

Fair enough if you don't like pop because you're still going through that angsty teenage "the words speak to me on so many levels man" stage. Just don't think it actually makes you even remotely interesting at parties.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I didn't mean that anyone playing a popular style of music is automatically "pop". Just that you can't be "pop" if your musical style isn't popular.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what's your definition of popular? There are certainly enough snobby angst-filled "Nobody understands me" teenagers around to make They Might Be Giants fairly popular. They've been going for ages now.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angst?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dark & Metric, Like a Neutron Star, Having a gigantic sex organ, you know.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snayer:
Yeah, but the US still gets stuck with NSync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Stephen Collings, Christina Aguilera ...

[Smile]

yep.. all the beautiful people! spice girls on the otherhand... ew.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really think of NSync or Backstreet Boys as "beautiful people."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and we can't really speak for Stephen Collings.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I suppose I meant "popular" to equal "popular among people who are easily distracted by shiny objects".
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, a definition that says, essentially "This is music I don't like" is valid, I think, but not necessarily useful, and certainly not universal.

Even though I might tend to agree.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

On second thought, that doesn't make much sense, does it?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps