Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Names for God. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Names for God.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is in the flameboard because some people find the very nature of the word God upsetting. I would put it in the OL, but some arsehole is bound to fuck this up with some "God? Who cares? He's just another car on the Man-Train of life, buddy!" or something else as inane.

I'm intrigued about all of the names for the single unitary God figure that is worshipped in Christian, Jewish & Islamic society. I hop I'm not mistaken in thinking that these are all either the equivalent of the same deity, or actually are the same deity.

I would like to know the names that are given to God in all of the holy scriptures of them religiony things.

Uh, and where they're from, too. Everytime I do a search for this, I get this.

Like, I know:

Allah - From Islam. Why, I don't know.
Ancient of Days - From the Old Testament (?), I don't know.
Jehova - From some part of the Bible, I guess.
Jehova-Jirah - Variant of above.
LORD - From the Bible I guess.
YHWH - The Talmud? Old Testament?
Yahweh - Is this really a name, or just a way to pronounce the above?

Others, I'm not sure of. I need to go read.

[ March 30, 2002, 12:36: Message edited by: U//Magnus ]

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd add Jehovah to that list, from the Bible.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several variants of Jehovah, actually. Jehovah-Jirah is the only one that's coming to mind, though.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trouble with gathering such a list is that Judaism and Islam especially are quite fond of giving God extra names to describe certain activities or aspects. Thus you get all sorts of extra names. Anyway, a few I was able to find, with translations.

Islam:
Ar-Rahman: The All-Compassionate
Ar-Rahim: The All-Merciful
Al-Malik: The Absolute Ruler
Al-Quddus: The Pure One
As-Salam: The Source of Peace
Al-Mu'min: The Inspirer of Faith
Al-Muhaymin: The Guardian
Al-'Aziz: The Victorious
Al-Jabbar: The Compeller
Al-Mutakabbir: The Greatest
Al-Khaliq: The Creator
Al-Bari': The Maker of Order
Al-Musawwir: The Shaper of Beauty
Al-Ghaffar: The Forgiving
Al-Qahhar: The Subduer
Al-Wahhab: The Giver of All
Ar-Razzaq: The Sustainer
Al-Fattah: The Opener
Al-'Alim: The Knower of All
Al-Qabid: The Constrictor
Al-Basit: The Reliever
Al-Khafid: The Abaser
Ar-Rafi': The Exalter
Al-Mu'izz: The Bestower of Honors
Al-Mudhill: The Humiliator
As-Sami: The Hearer of All
Al-Basir: The Seer of All
Al-Hakam: The Judge
Al-'Adl: The Just
Al-Latif: The Subtle One
Al-Khabir: The All-Aware
Al-Halim: The Forebearing
Al-'Azim: The Magnificent
Al-Ghafur: The Forgiver and Hider of Faults
Ash-Shakur: The Rewarder of Thankfulness
Al-'Ali: The Highest
Al-Kabir: The Greatest
Al-Hafiz: The Preserver
Al-Muqit: The Nourisher
Al-Hasib: The Accounter
Al-Jalil: The Mighty
Al-Karim: The Generous
Ar-Raqib: The Watchful One
Al-Mujib: The Responder to Prayer
Al-Wasi': The All-Comprehending
Al-Hakim: The Perfectly Wise
Al-Wadud: The Loving One
Al-Maj�d: The Majestic One
Al-Ba'ith: The Resurrector
Ash-Shahid: The Witness
Al-h Haqq: The Truth
Al-Wakil: The Trustee
Al-Qawi: The Possessor of All Strength
Al-Matin: The Forceful One
Al-W�li: The Governor
Al-Hamid: The Praised One
Al-Muhsi: The Appraiser
Al-Mubdi: The Originator
Al-Mu'id: The Restorer
Al-Muhyi: The Giver of Life
Al-Mumit: The Taker of Life
Al-Hayy: The Ever Living One
Al-Qayyum: The Self-Existing One
Al-Wajid: The Finder
Al-M�jid: The Glorious
Al-Wahid: The Only One
Al-Ahad: The One
As-Samad: The Satisfier of All Needs
Al-Qadir: The All Powerful
Al-Muqtadir: The Creator of All Power
Al-Muqaddim: The Expediter
Al-Mu'akhkhir: The Delayer
Al-Awwal: The First
Al-Akhir: The Last
Az-Zahir: The Manifest One
Al-Batin: The Hidden One
Al-Wal�: The Protecting Friend
Al-Muta'ali: The Supreme One
Al-Barr: The Doer of Good
At-Tawwib: The Guide to Repentance
Al-Muntaqim: The Avenger
Al-Afu: The Forgiver
Ar-Ra'uf: The Clement
Malik al-Mulk: The Owner of All
Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram: The Lord of Majesty and Bounty
Al-Muqsit: The Equitable One
Al-Jami: The Gatherer
Al-Ghani: The Rich One
Al-Mughni: The Enricher
Al-Mani': The Preventer of Harm
Ad-Darr: The Creator of The Harmful
An-Nafi: The Creator of Good
An-Nur: The Light
Al-Hadi: The Guide
Al-Badi: The Originator
Al-Baqi: The Everlasting One
Al-Warith: The Inheritor of All
Ar-Rashid: The Righteous Teacher
As-Sabur: The Patient One

I'll have to look for Christian and Jewish ones later.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, this is good for my GCSE (and, shortly, A level) RE course. I don't suppose anyone knows any sites with general information about Islam?
Thanks

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, do the "Al", "Ar", etc prefixes mean anything?
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, for that matter, the Hebrew "El", as in El-Shaddi?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Al" is Arabic for "the".

"El" is Hebrew for "god".

As for Yahweh/Jehovah/Yahoo-Wahoo... The Hebrew name for their god is represented by the Hebrew letters yod-he-vav-he. In English, these are rendered as Y-H-W-H or Y-H-V-H. (Anyone who knows more about Hebrew, can you tell me whether vav is pronounced like an English 'w' or 'v'? I've never managed to figure that out.) The Hebrew alphabet has no vowels. Nowadays, they use various little dots around the letters to indicate vowels. However, they'd already decided to disallow saying the name out loud before they started writing vowels, so no-one knows how it was originally pronounced. "Yahweh" or "Yahveh" is the best guess.

"Jehovah" came about by taking "YHVH" and using the vowels from "Elohim" and "Adonai" (Hebrew for "gods" and "my lord", used as speakable names for Yahweh). I forget if the 'J' at the beginning comes from Latin or German, but, either way, it's because that's how those languages wrote the consonantal 'y' sound.

From what I understand, the bible also refers to him as "Yah" and "Yah-El" a couple times. But mainly "Yahweh". For the most part, you can replace any biblical instance of "the LORD" w/ "Yahweh" and "God" w/ "Elohim", and you'll know what the original text actually said.

BTW, the reason they called him "Elohim" ("gods") instead of "El" ("god") is kind of interesting. Originally, the Hebrews had no trouble believing in other gods. They just thought their god was better. It was normal back then for gods to be associated w/ places. If you went to a place, you worshipped their god. If you went home, you went back to worshipping you hometown god. However, during the Babylonian Diaspora, the Jews taken to Babylon decided to keep worshipping Yahweh. This was where they first started associating Yahweh w/ the Jewish people, rather than w/ the land of Palestine. Later on, they reformed their beliefs again and decided that not only was Yahweh better than the other gods, but the other gods didn't even exist. Someone came up w/ the idea that when people worshipped other gods, they were really worshipping Yahweh. Therefore, all the gods of the world were really Yahweh, so they called him "gods" instead of "god".

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're talking about the Christian god, then there's also, well, "God" (with a capital "G") as a name. A bit presumptious perhaps, but unless you say "Sol" and "Luna", you can't argue.

And if you do, you are sad and should probably stop maturbating over pictures of sarah Michelle Gellar and go out and talk to people.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Tim's exhaustive little ditty, he did neglect to mention that there remains considerable academic debate over whether the Jewish faith was originally polytheistic, as there do remain several references in the early texts that make it sound like there were two gods... "let us make a human" from Genesis, and then something about s figure called "Nature" being with God from the beginning. Odd stuff.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Member # 91

Well, there was the concept of a being that was a kinda quasi-deity, as I understand it. The active force that actually carries out God's will. The Greeks called it "logos", and it's supposedly what John was refering to when he said "In the beginning was the Word (logos)". I don't think the concept was native to Greece, though.

--------------------

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Talmud-

Shalom, which is used as a greeting in Israel, is a name of G-d.

The story goes like this-The Jewish people would never use the name of G-d in greeting someone. Then one fine day, an important man, as recounted in the Bible, said "Shalom" to other important men. The people thought if he can do this, why can't we? The leading authorities on Jewish law and customs debated this issue for a long time. Finally, they came to a decision. Jews can use "Shalom" as part of their greetings to each other.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But isn't "shalom" just the word for "peace"? I mean, if you start assigning various common nouns to the name of your god, and then declare them ineffable, you begin to severely limit your available vocabulary...

And I think Omega is referring to the Shekhina. Go here and scroll down the left side to find it. Also read the article about Yahweh. It talks about the stuff I mentioned above.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Overhead, without any fuss, ths stars were going out."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're jumping the gun a bit. We've still got 8,999,999,894 names to go. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps