Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The violence spreads.

Author Topic: The violence spreads.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(part of me thinks I should have titled this 'and so it begins')

in France, of all places...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/732972.asp?cp1=1

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/story.html?f=/stories/20020403/528054.html
Seems it is spredding even beyond Europe.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of idiot tries to burn down a cemetery?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it keeps him from burning down schools. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It did say the pavilion at a cemetary, not the gravestones proper...

I'm more curious about:

quote:
German police said they were investigating an assault on two young Orthodox Jews from New York in downtown Berlin on Sunday night.
The two 21-year-olds said they were asked whether they were Jewish by a group of seven or eight youths, and one of the Americans was attacked when he answered yes, police said. The victim, who was not identified by police, was beaten and kicked to the floor. He was treated in hospital for facial injuries.

I mean, why bother saying yes when against a big group of thugs...being a Jew isn't like being a visible minority, how would they tell?

Now being Chinese in North America, if the US decides to start a war over Taiwan or something....thats more troublesome...

Second thoughts: Actually, do Orthodox Jews HAVE to wear that skull-cap thing? If so, maybe thats how they knew.....but then why would they need to ask if they were Jewish? "No, I'm modelling it for Calvin Klein" Bah, religion baffles me.

[ April 04, 2002, 09:11: Message edited by: Mucus ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...skull-cap thing..."

Yarmulke. And I never understood why the pope wears one...

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this on beliefnet
First, forget the bald spot jokes. And they aren't beanies. Jews call this headcovering a yarmulke or kipah. From ancient times, Jewish men wore them to show respect for the Holy One. During the Middle Ages, they came to symbolize that God was above them. Some Jewish men, most of them Orthodox, wear them every day; others only when they gather with others in the synagogue for prayer. Wearing the yarmulke has become a tradition but it isn't a strict requirement. The Pope's reason for donning a white head piece is basically the same: respect and, more particularly, as sign of submission to Christ as His vicar on earth. Most likely the practice was borrowed from Jews, though we can't say for sure. At some unknown point in the mists of the Christian past , popes started doing something Jews had done for eons. Links between the two faiths are only recently being unraveled and acknowledged.

--------------------
M. Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmm, aren't the people on Taiwan Chinese also.....
The last bastion of the Nationalist Chinese??

I don't see the problem if the media and government do an educational section stating the fact....

The poor kid probably didn't think that a Jew would get that kind of treatment, this long after Hitler's rule....

[ April 04, 2002, 11:55: Message edited by: In the stars it is ]

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taiwanese ARE Chinese!!!!

Although some dumbass "tobacco" chewing separatists (such as our incompetent president Chen, who isn't that much "brighter" then Bush Junior) would like the world to think the opposite.

P.S. They don't really chew tobacco, but something similar.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"The Pope's reason for donning a white head piece is basically the same: respect and, more particularly, as sign of submission to Christ as His vicar on earth."

So, erm... Jesus likes it when people wear silly hats? This is quite a revelation. In thirteen years of attending Catholic schools, they never taught us that...

"Links between the two faiths are only recently being unraveled and acknowledged."

Like the fact that Christianity was started by a Jew?

Grokca
Member # 722

quote:
"Links between the two faiths are only recently being unraveled and acknowledged."
Ya I thought that was a bit strange too.
quote:
So, erm... Jesus likes it when people wear silly hats? This is quite a revelation. In thirteen years of attending Catholic schools, they never taught us that...

I too spent 9 years of my life in Catholic schools and I wasn't taught why he wore the hat. They were too busy indoctinating us with crap.

As I said I found this in beliefnet because I didn't know either.

--------------------
M. Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Bishop's wear red-ones. Red with blood, maybe. Blood for Monster...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned from reading the notes to Dante's Divine Comedy that certain colors in Christianity connote meanings. I will need to do some research on this. Speak later.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps