Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » California - a state of mind (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: California - a state of mind
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Red Vorlon:

The globe is warming, that can't be denied.

Er, Koshy boy, you have been here before haven't you? If some of them were taken in a time machine, and watched a species of ape like beings as, over time, they gradually evolved into humans, and then presented them with a piece of paper and collector's edition DVD saying "Yes, we evolved from humans: the proof", they'd still deny that there was any proof. And then they'd say "Enterprise-class", and screaming would ensue.

They can deny anythng.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of coarse you are correct. I tend to stay out of this forum, and forget what it like sometimes.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although (to backtrack) completely, it's not that bad. Or maybe it is. What's worse? People starting really stupid and heated arguments over evolution (here), or people starting really sutpid and heated arguments over anything (TrekBBS), including (but not limited to), the number of torpedo launchers on the Defiant, whether mY C001 sH1p R00000XXXXXzzzz!, and many more.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess Davis is getting my vote come November.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
In a related story, prices for new-model cars in California are expected to climb 50% by 2009.

Is Global Warming happening? Maybe.
If it is, is there anything you can do about it? Probably about as much as you can do about sunshine.

Of course, that is a pro-corporate view who says "who gives a shit anyway?". Yes, the science of Global Warming is not an exact science, but doesn't mean that you shouldn't do anything about it.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to keep current, people, please? Do it for the kids...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the science of Global Warming is not an exact science, but doesn't mean that you shouldn't do anything about it.

Yes, but if we don't know whether it's happening, or if it is, what's causing it, then what do you suggest we do?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, but if we don't know whether it's happening, or if it is, what's causing it, then what do you suggest we do?

Well I don't want to get too caught up in this debate cause I don't know for sure if we are causing global warming, but I do know that if I had a water leak in my house and I didn't for sure know the source of that water leak then I would first reduce the flow of water until I found the leak.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. At the rate we're going, by the time we really found out what's going on, there may be too much damage to reverse.

I won't say that reducing gases such as CO2 is a catch all problem, but more research should be done on this subject.

At the same time, however, we should work on reducing gaseous emissions such as CO2, NO2, SO2, and other pollutants. Toronto just went through its roughest summer in years with 2 straight months of smoggy weather. And smog is caused by air pollutants. And it is unhealthy. And it is not just the SUV's causing it, I'm talking about the industrial plants.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, the science of Global Warming is not an exact science.
To be accurate, given the current state of climatalogical models (which alternately assume that clouds don't exist, that it never rains, that the globe is featureless, that Earth's albedo is constant, that snow doesn't reflect light, that there aren't 'carbon sinks' in the ocean, that plankton have a constant rate of growth, and that foliage doesn't change with the climate), the 'Science of Global warming' is about as 'exact' as the Science of Phrenology.

quote:
And smog is caused by air pollutants
It's also caused by them big-ass forest fires. Smoke and soot and released gases, ya know.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget global warming.

Cars emit pollutants. Enough pollutants can be harmful. California has too many cars. Regulate the cars.

Until you conservatives live in a smoggy, smelly city and LIKE it, don't be telling us to do nothing about it.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it always assumed that Global Warming is a bad thing? I hate being cold.

Hell man! Let's open up some resorts!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because most people also hate being wet.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greenhouse effect in Finland:

Zero mosquitoes in July. Two mosquitoes in August. Got 'em both, so expecting none in September.

So little rain that our lawn escaped, screaming, to the grass blade heaven, and had to be replaced by readymade rolls of happy green industrial-grade grass. Which promptly migrated wherever the original lawn had gone, leaving a brownish-yellow substitute that fooled nobody.

Crazy birds that have their third or fourth batch of eggs now when they ought to have one per year. Crazy Finns who travel to Prague just to see what the flood looks like. Only serious news in the telly, stuff that has no place in the dog days. People no longer have the energy to get summer-stupid. The sun saps the strength from the village idiots.

Dust everywhere, little tornadoes turning the sky brown, like it is in the early spring when the anti-skid sand of the winter gets airborne. Except that we can only blame ourselves for the spring dust. Summer dust we now blame on Bush and his anti-Kyoto platform.

No stars. In the summer, the sky is always so bright that there's no proper night in June or July, but I want to see my stars in August. The dust in the air just blocks everything out, except for the innocent blue glow of a "clear" sky. The dusk and dawn skies are spectacular, though.

I could take the current settings all right. But when the knob is turned up one more step, we'll get malaria and legionnaire's and short-sleeved or topless tourists. And the mosquitoes will be back.

Timo Saloniemi

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? I stayed in a cabin at a campsite near Pori for midsummer, and the place was infested with mosquitos. Mainly because the Fins we were staying with stayed up all night drinking vodka with the lights on and the doors open. I spent an hour purging my room of mosquitos with extreme prejudice before going to sleep.

But as for global warming, I think most scientists agree it's because of humans.

Fo2: You sure the climate models are that rough? I think a lot of work is being done to refine the model, I recently read they're even working on taking into account bubble formations in breaking waves.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps