Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "...you can forget about civil rights." (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "...you can forget about civil rights."
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The conservatives have a leader now?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wonder what marshal they'll get to make the law. i hope we get "Walker: Texas Marshal".
IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually worried for my new boss... she's Lebanese.

My soon-to-be-former boss at my soon-to-be-former library is also Lebanese. Nifty.

As for the moron who said that civil rights might be abolished, I want his resignation on my desk, tomorrow. Or his head. Whichever's easier.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably both doing a bit of Aeronautical research under the guise of Librarianism.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You haven't seen our workroom. She doesn't have time to scan all the books we get, much less read any of them. And we're... two childrens' librarians, one adult librarian, and a circ assistant down as of next Wednesday. And as of three weeks after that, they'll be missing a page, too. Daad needs a vacation. Or a few clones. Or both.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...soon-to-be-former library..."

That sounds much more destructive that I suspect it was intended to...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
So far IDS remains leader of the Conservative Party, the Nazi has been sacked, and it's largely forgotten.

As are the conservatives... [Wink]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe if IDS had been the PM, it might have been more serious. But unless Labour screw up even worse than they have been of late, the Tories may not even be in Opposition after the next election.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmph.

A couple years ago. When a Conservative talks about Executive Orders, issuing of mass, destruction of freedom by, he's a "paranoid."

Now, When a liberal talks about the same, (down to the same exact EO's) he isn't?

Someone's either a paranoid or a hypocrite.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or drunk? [Smile]
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly that post was about.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify on my earlier post -- yes, Justice Rehnquist's article was an opinion-based work, but it was presented in a way that heavily relied on legal interpretation, focusing on the reasoning for the Supreme Court's decisions for those three court cases.

So the article doesn't constitute an official opinion or policy in and of itself. However, many Americans regard the Supreme Court as one of the primary bastions of civil rights, as the last resort for those whose rights are infringed by laws that Congress and the President put into force. If the Chief Justice writes an article that effectively supports the Japanese internment camps, I'd say that's a strong indication as to which way Justice Rehnquist (and possibly the entire Supreme Court) could lean should these proposed new internment camps for Arab-Americans actually become a reality.

THAT'S what worries me. The fact that others in the government are going to be willing to go along with this because of an illusory "national defense" justification. And the fact that the Supreme Court may be willing to screw over loyal American citizens again exclusively because of their ethnicity.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say that if argued before the Court now, it would be another 5-4 decision. A decision in favor of internment.

Although I wonder which way O'Connor would go, I think it's pertty easy to figure which way Scalia, Rehnquist and Thomas would go.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps.

How would you expect it to go in the event of a second attack, similar in nature and impact, which is what the original article assumed?

Let's say, for example, that terrorists linked to Al-Qaeda hit Disneyworld during the busy season (this winter).

Personally, I would expect the general public (people not as smart or disciplined as us here)'s reaction to make what happened post-9-11 look like a picnic. Then the govt. might call internship "protective custody."

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then we would, of course, be in need of not just a president, but a national father. Perhaps Bush would be willing to run for Father? The state knows what is best for us, after all. Defeating terrorism is the sole concern of government, and nothing must be allowed to get in the way of that.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps