Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » DUI Accountability (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DUI Accountability
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah woah woah! Okay, I hereby reverse my conversion on this issue.

The POLICE gave the DRUNK GUY the car keys. With that comes the implicit understanding that the drunk guy was going to go pick up his car and then drive off. Never mind the friend coming to pick him up, or the directions from the station to the car. If the police handed the drunk guy the keys, then there would be no clear-cut reason for the friend to NOT take him back to his car. Sure, common sense would suggest not taking the guy back to his car until later. But wouldn't one expect the police to have this kind of common sense also? In a situation such as that, I would almost certainly follow the judgment of a police officer, and follow his/her instructions.

A breathalyzer registered the guy at 0.21??? Good grief, I thought that police generally held people in that stage of inebriation overnight to let them "sleep it off" first. Wouldn't that guy have been liable to be charged with public drunkenness if he'd been picked up again, even if he was just walking home?

And this, THIS is the most damning paragraph of all:
quote:
Were the intoxicated driver alive, it is unlikely that anyone would have considered charging Kenneth Powell in connection with the collision. With the true culprit dead, however, the only apparent way to hold someone criminally responsible was to prosecute Powell.
I wish I could've put this into words earlier. Basically, the prosecutors are trying to appease the family of the victim in the other car, to "prove" that they're "tough" on drunk drivers. Which is laudable in and of itself... until they make someone else into a scapegoat, just to prove their point.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy would have needed his keys for things other than driving. Such as, say, to get into his house.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Powell followed the directions and dropped off his friend, to whom police had already returned his car keys, at his parked car.
quote:
As defense attorneys were quick to point out, however, it was the police who put the car keys in the hands of a man registering a .21 on a breath test for alcohol.
Must've been master keys.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
The guy would have needed his keys for things other than driving. Such as, say, to get into his house.

Well, if the guy were still drunk, they should've given the keys to his FRIEND, who would then drive the guy home, open the door for him, and get him inside. And then go get the car after the owner had recovered from his hangover.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A breathalyzer registered the guy at 0.21??? Good grief, I thought that police generally held people in that stage of inebriation overnight to let them "sleep it off" first. Wouldn't that guy have been liable to be charged with public drunkenness if he'd been picked up again, even if he was just walking home?
Although the police certainly do *appear* to be in error, keep in mind that they are governed by a wide selection of laws -- Federal, state, and local. No two departments do things the same way, even in the same state. Baltimore City, for example, tows DWI offenders’ vehicles to a city-run lot, where it won’t be released for at least 12 hours, regardless of why it was towed. Baltimore County, OTOH, tows vehicles to private lots, and nothing forbids the private lot from releasing the vehicle at any specific time period (outside their own operating hours). Some jurisdictions don’t tow vehicles at all, and many rural areas have five or six agencies operating the same juridiction which can make things all messed up -- even urban areas have lots of agencies -- Baltimore City alone has six agencies running around: Maryland Transit Police, Maryland State Police, Baltimore City Police, Department of Corrections, Baltimore Sheriff’s Office, Housing Police.

The Transit Police, of course, have jurisdiction on all MTA property, plus any traffic violations. State Police have state-wide jurisdiction, but mainly stick to the highways in the urban and suburban areas of Maryland. The Sheriff’s Office in Baltimore is mostly responsible for security at the court, and transfer of prisoners. The Corrections Dept runs the jails. The Housing Police used to only have jurisdiction in the projects, but they were recently given city-wide jurisdiction. Anyway, the whole point of this little “lesson” was to show how confusing it can be to determine what happens to a vehicle, depending either on the agency doing the arrest or the jurisdiction it occurs in.

A friend of mine is a Transit Officer, and hates DWI arrests -- why? Because depending on whether he’s in Baltimore County, Baltimore City, or Ann Arundel County, he’s got to do the arrest three different ways!

Okay, back to the topic.

This is what ArizonaDO, an officer from AZ had to say on the matter on an LEO board I post on:

quote:
If a bond amount is set and the inmate has the ability to post it, you have to let him/her go. That is like refusing a judges court order to relase someone from custody. We release dangerous persons from jail everyday on bond, we can't say to them "hey, didn't you murder that little old lady with a claw hammer the other day? oh, screw that, I am not letting you out." It just does not work that way. Remember the eighth amendment?, No cruel and unusual punshment...no bond set to high etc. etc.. If the people or law makers feel that it is a truly dangerous issue, they need to set a no bond on DUI's. Kind of the same deal as domestic violence charges, no release until you talk to a judge. You can't expect police departments or jails to make up the rules as they go along. The rules and policies are set forth by elected persons, the police are there to enforce the rules and policies placed upon them.
H8Criminals, a Park Police officer, said:

quote:
Hmmm ... as an officer, my view on this ... I'm not sure if I agree with Manslaughter, however, I do think there should be SOME kind of penalty. Even "failure to obey a lawful order of a police officer" may do, if NJ has that charge. I've heard of bartenders getting charged with things for continuing to serve drunk persons at the bars if that person got in to an accident. I've heard of party hosts getting in trouble for the same thing. Had the friend followed the request of the officers to "take care of the subject" or to "take him home," and THEN the guy left and got back to his car his own way, then it's different. If the friend brought him immediately back to his vehicle, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to smell him and realize there's probably a reason he was supposed to bring him home.
This about makes the point. It wasn’t the PD’s fault. It was the idiot friend who decided his drunk friend could drive even though he knew he was drunk.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

They kept my keys overnight when I was arrested, and I wasn't intoxicated. I had to go to the police station the next morning and ask for my house keys. They acted like they were doing me a favor returning them then.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I keep all my keys on one ring. I got outer Yale, outer deadlock, inner Yale, inner deadlock, my parent's front door (I have four keys to get into the house, they have one; yes, I do live in a city and they live in the country, how'd you guess?), car steering wheel lock and car key. I don't even bother having some sort of fancy keyring anymore, it'd be too bulky.

Now, on two occasions I've had to remove the car key from the bunch in the past fortnight: once at the airport long-term car park for valet parking, the other today when I took my car to be MOT'ed. It's the work of a few seconds but it requires two hands, and how many police officers are going to bother when they're dealing with a drunk-driving asshole (which is actually a redundancy - all drunk-drivers are assholes)?

Like so much else in life, the whole situation has arisen from a chain of unfortunate occurrences. I don't think the friend should get away without any sort of punishment, but it's no good blaming the whole sorry mess on him.

That can wait until the inevitable civil action which will undoubtedly be brought by the victim's family. B)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Snay, thanks for posting those responses. That clarifies things a bit as far as the PD letting the guy go. Question, though -- Did he actually have to post bail? Wouldn't he have to go before a judge for bail to be set? I assumed that he was just being released after being booked, or whatever. (Can you tell I don't have much of a clue about how law enforcement works in that area? [Embarrassed] ) And I would've thought that in cases like that, where a person was clearly still drunk and a potential danger (they guy had a 0.21 BAC, so he HAD to have been obviously drunk), then I don't see why they couldn't have held him overnight. I thought that was what most PD's did with drunks anyway.

Anyway, I certainly have no problem with that friend getting nailed with a civil lawsuit. They guy certainly was an idiot and deserves to get hit with hefty penalties, but I still don't agree with criminal charges.

Wery interesting...

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I hadn't thought of that. He would have to have a bond hearing before he could be bailed out. I didn't think they did that that quickly.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my lawyer, on a misdemeanor, one can be "cited out" without a bail hearing. This is, as I understand, something like a traffic citation where one is promising to appear in court at a given time in the future.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus. Why don't they just ban alcohol again? Let's cut it off at the head, people, get at it before it ruins anymore lives...

More seriously: I don't know how the rest of the human race behaves under the influence of alcohol...but I can say that even though I have been so plastered I couldn't remember my own name, I remembered not to drive anywhere. Also: I have never broken any limbs whilst partaking (a favorite excuse back in school for kids who got royally fucked up on the weekends and came back in full body casts: "I got drunk and FELL. Hahahahaha.")...nor have I raped any young women or assaulted innocents, robbed banks or hijacked any monorails.

It's called "self-control". I learned it from Saved By the Bell, goddamn it. If the Preppie can learn his lesson, so can I.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You had to learn self-control by watching that horrible moralistic excuse for a teenshow? Poor man, didn't your folks ever tell you SbtB was hazardous to your mental health?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zack is God. Do not argue on this point.

It's an interesting thing actually, and one I'd like to do a psychological study on. If I were a psychologist. How comes some people lose all self control when drunk and decide "I can drive! I can beat up people twice my size!" and other idiotic things, and others can get absolutly completely plasered and yet still be together enough to know not to drive, not to start fights, and to go to the toilet before they get in bed?

Personally, if I'm going for a drink, I don't take my car with me. I'd just have to pick it up in the morning anyway.

Just to clear up confusion, like Lee I have all my keys on one key ring. When this article says "car keys", is it likely to be spiecifically referring to his car keys, or is it typical in the US to carry all your keys on one ring, and "car keys" is only being used descriptively here rather than "his keys with included those to his car"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

Gah! If we're gonna compare deities, Screech wins hands down. No contest.

I figure it's a biochemical thingy. Something like a natural immunity to alcohol that's hardcoded into your DNA. I'd kill for a couple of THOSE mutant genes.

[ August 16, 2002, 06:24: Message edited by: Colorful Cartman ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But it's not "immunity" to alcohol, per se. I still get drunk. Other people I know still get drunk. They then attemt to jump over bollards, fail, and whack themselves in the bollocks with hilarious consquences.

But they'd still never consider driving.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps