Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Forum Competitions » Assess. Eh? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Assess. Eh?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this is why the world needs Steve Irwin.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes... we can't have enough insane looking people in the world! LOL!

Seriously though, he's on a good thing talking about conservation.

Did you hear that they are going to clone a Tasmanian Tiger!! The last one alive (known) was in like 1932 or something.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what?
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only caught the tale end of this but I think they are going to clone one from pups, or kittens whatever you call them, that were kept in a formaldihyde(sp) solution. I think the pups were from the last surviving member of the species.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the last surviving member of the population had children, and they drowned te children in formaldehyde?

Anyone else seeing a problem here?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
minor typo in the zoo's 'care and feeding' manual.. they were gonna go ahead and fix it in the next year's version, but, seeing as it was too little, too late, they added a fold out spread with picture of baby polar bears instead.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Yeah it's all the Okuda's fault!! [Smile]

OK, the last one seen was in captivity (you may have seen that black/brown and white footage)

The recently, like in 1999 found a preserved pup in alcohol in the basement/depths of the Hobart Museum.

They subsequently have found other well-preserved specimines older, younger, male and female.

They have found the pup (and the other specimines) have nice, intact DNA. They are (I think for the first go) that pup... then later on samples from other specimines (which is good to grow a large enough gene-base).

They will use Tasmanian Devils or Spotted Quolls as surrogate mothers for the Thylacines.

They didn't kill the last remaining Thylacine's pups by lucky-dunking them in preservative! [Smile]

The last remaining Thylacine was that one in a cage.

People are saying - why spend the money and effort on an already extinct species. Why not spend that time and money on convservation of other threatened species. Good point - but I think it's the whole "mystique" surrounding the Thylacine that makes cloning such an animal so... exciting/interesting to the public.

Andrew

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a pic of a Thylacine do ya?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"People are saying - why spend the money and effort on an already extinct species. Why not spend that time and money on convservation of other threatened species."

I'm not seeing the difference. Either way, they're trying to stop a species from being extinct. Why is it okay for an already-extinct species to be extinct, but it's so much worse for a not-yet-extinct species to become extinct? Basically, it's a chance to not just learn from one's mistakes, but to correct the mistakes, too.

Not to mention that, if they're successful, they'll know how to fix any other species that become extinct.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "fuck" is that thing? Why do you guys want more of those? Man is that thing stupid.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just looks hungry to me.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! It looks cute! And it's said to have a Pouch� feature, so don't be dissin' the Tiger!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder where it will utilize that camouflage, though, kind of revealing color scheme. The rabbits will laugh at it.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Indeed it is a marsupial, and all marsupials have pouches.

That would be the pic of the last surviving Thylacine... 1932 or something.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps