Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » Star Trek XIV or IV or whatever announced for realsies

Author Topic: Star Trek XIV or IV or whatever announced for realsies
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So apparently Paramount is still interested in making another Kelvinverse movie. I dunno what’s changed, I can’t imagine the cast members’ asking prices have gone down in the years since the project fell through over salary negotiations. Or the fact that “Beyond”, as the best of the three, also flopped because good Trek doesn’t generally translate to good blockbuster movies.

Oh, and apparently JJ Abrams has figured out resurrection, because he said it would feature the ”original cast” and I presume that includes Nimoy, Doohan, and Kelley. [Roll Eyes]

Yeah, I’m not too excited. But hey, if they can pull it off, I wish them luck. I know some fans enjoy it, and it’s also introduced new people to the story, At least there’s enough other Trek shows that I can look forward to now too.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything since 2009 has been a nightmare. This franchise has been franchised.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Oh, and apparently JJ Abrams has figured out resurrection, because he said it would feature the ”original cast” and I presume that includes Nimoy, Doohan, and Kelley. [Roll Eyes]

I'm pretty sure he meant the original cast of the Kelvinverse films. Although that obviously does not include Anton Yelchin, unfortunately.
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how many times now has this movie been announced for realsies? [Razz]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or he goes the Star Wars route and deepfakes the original cast.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there’ve been plenty of rumors and projects discussed, but unless I’m forgetting something, this is the first time that Paramount and Abrams have gone on the record discussing it.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Or he goes the Star Wars route and deepfakes the original cast.

“We are thrilled to say that we are hard at work on a new ‘Star Trek’ film that will be shooting by the end of the year that will be featuring our original cast and some new characters that I think are going to be really fun and exciting and help take ‘Star Trek’ into areas that you’ve just never seen before,” Abrams said.

Clearly he's talking about the Kelvin timeline cast, not the TOS cast.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

That's fair. But I think he's also using a very broad definition of the word "original." I don't think you can use that word with any of the main characters in the Trek movies he's made. (And I mean they're reboots and by definition not original, you haters.) [Wink]

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I think he meant that the movie will feature the original cast of the first three films, and not a bunch of new characters who are not Kirk, Spock et. al. Hopefully they will not recast Chekov but say he’s transferred to another ship. Either that, or they acknowledge that he’s dead in this new timeline.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Oh, I know what he meant. I'm just being (possibly-unreasonably) particular about the definition of the word "original". [Wink]

I believe they already said back in 2016 that they were not going to recast Chekov. I can't imagine they'd change that plan now. They'll probably have him promoted to science officer of the Reliant or something.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to guess, the movie will open with the crew of the Enterprise mourning the tragic death of Mr. Chekov, although if that's happened in universe immediately prior, or this is an anniversary thing, is anyone's guess.

I'd love to see Keenser, Jaylah, and Dr. Wallace/Marcus return as well. (Keenser I'm sure of, but the other two not so much).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they could deepfake Yelchin as well and donate his salary to an NPO of his family's choosing to be reverent.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"... some new characters that I think are going to be really fun and exciting and help take ‘Star Trek’ into areas that you’ve just never seen before."
Oh, Christ no. Haven't we suffered enough?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

So, uh… about that announcement…

Why Paramount’s ‘Star Trek’ Sequel Reveal Surprised Its Own Stars

(insert Picard facepalm GIF here)

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps