Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » New Trek » DSC 5x05 "Mirrors" ($$$)

Author Topic: DSC 5x05 "Mirrors" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed the episode, but there's definitely some stuff in here that I can see giving longtime Trek fans conniptions.

The biggest bombshell is that we finally get to see what the Breen look like. Specifically, L'ak is Breen. And they're maybe kinda energy beings? The difference between their two "faces" is giving off massive Taelon (from Earth: Final Conflict) vibes to me. Of course, if you preferred the mystery, this probably will piss you off.

So the ISS Enterprise eventually wound up transporting refugees from the Mirror Universe to the Prime Universe as the Terran Empire was falling. I'm not sure that tracks given that there didn't seem to be any contact between the two universes in-between TOS's "Mirror, Mirror" and DS9's "Crossover".

What I did like was that they kept Mirror Spock ambiguous. Burnham states she never met Mirror Spock and assumed he was just as ruthless as everyone else from the Mirror Universe. Book also reads that the reforms of a High Chancellor (or something like that, I forget the exact title) had led to the downfall of the Empire. However, the episode does not connect the two.

Was that a stuffed animal Gorn? NEEEEEEEEEEED. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it rather torpedoes the assumption that the look of the SNW bridge (hell, the whole ship in fact) is that of how it was before it was refitted to the TOS bridge - because if the ISS E was used at some point after “Mirror, Mirror” as described, then it wouldn’t look like it did in this episode.

So that’s a massive problem right there. It potentially leaves us with it being a visual reboot, whether we like it or not.

But as for the fate of the Terran refugees, I suppose it’s not too much of a problem by comparison. They arrived in the Prime universe - and integrated. We don’t know how public knowledge of the MU was; perhaps the biographies/true origins of the refugees (like the one who became a Starfleet admiral) were embargoed for decades - still not commonly known about in the 2360s/70s (when some of the refugees might still be alive, or their descendants - would they want it to be known they were Terrans, vicious brutes prone to having goatees or being evil lesbians, and suffer discrimination as a result?), but long declassified by the 3180s.

And as for the Breen, well, to quote Bert Cooper - who CARES, Mr. Campbell? I never bought the whole “nobody knows what they look like” - not when we saw them being killed and their clothes being stolen to use as disguises. What, is it that they evaporate if you open their suit without permission or the wrong way or something?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
What, is it that they evaporate if you open their suit without permission or the wrong way or something?

That would've been super awesome actually. Like, they need to stay chilled in the fridge suits because if they're opened, they literally sublimate away.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many ships to choose from. Lexington, Hood, Exeter, Constellation, even Defiant if they wanted to get meta.

NO. HAS to be fucking Enterprise, AGAIN.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why’d it have to be MU, even?

I’m not sure I buy the whole treasure-hunt shtick. “People will start HERE… then they’ll go HERE, and they’ll do THIS… then they’ll go HERE…” The penitent Breen Neils, er, kneels.

There was a puzzle book published decades ago, Maskerade, by one Kit Williams I think. If you deciphered the whole thing it’d lead you to the location of a gold hare.

Some guy just researched Kit Williams’s life, where he’d lived, and went to one likely location with a metal detector.

We’re halfway through the season and the Scooby Gang have found… three of the five pieces? And when they get the treasure, M&L will steal it and give it to the Breen. And then the Scoobs will have to get it back. And then they’ll talk about their feelings some more. And then the show will end and we can all get on with our lives…

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade (first 1979 book entry)

Interesting, never heard that one. Would've been totally ticked off by the acrostic with extra letters.

As for the ship, this is indeed apparently supposed to be a direct replacement of the ISS Enterprise seen in "Mirror, Mirror", making it as close a direct replacement of the Jefferies Enterprise as we have yet seen.

(Many have argued that the 442 meter Discoprise of the late 2250s was refit from the Jefferies 289 meter ship of 2254 and will be refit to it again for 2265ish. Given that this should be a mirror of the late-2260s ship, that argument hardly works now, if it ever did.)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
Member # 393

Something’s just occurred to me - this is the first time anything really, like a ship, has been brought through from the MU. Usually it was just people, and the largest thing I can think of was the cloaking device Quark & Rom stole. Given the problems Georgiou was encountering by being in the prime universe, after centuries of divergence from the MU, shouldn’t that call into question not just the stability of the ISS-E in our universe, but also that it apparently remained intact & functioning in that pocket universe?

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ISS Enterprise didn't time travel, though. It made it to the 32nd Century the "long way round".

The USS Defiant, though... Maybe that's why the Terrans modified it? It started falling apart due to universe jump plus time travel, and so the Terrans had to replace large sections of it?

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps