Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The End of the MARA?

Author Topic: The End of the MARA?
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why yes, of course! I have noticed a trend in the hyperwarp ships Voyager encounters from time to time seem to be powered by an exotic drive than doesn't use matter/anti-matter annihiliation.

So in light of this, I have created a new drive system--within the bounds of science--for the SMR site.

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
HISTORICAL BRIEFS ON MONOPOLE WARP REACTOR CORE AND PROPULSION

--------------------
Starfleet Command
Engineering Division
Department of Warp Propulsion
TO: Adm. Cynthia Warwick, Administrator, Dept. Warp Propulsion
FROM: Capt. Terence Avery, Chief Administrator, Office of Subspace Physics and Warp Principles.
SUBJECT: Matter/Anti-matter Reactor Assembly Limitations
DATE: SD 49648.17 (24 AUG 2372)

Adm. Warwick:

After several years of collecting data on the current warp propulsion drive, we have arrived at the conclusion that the MARA system can not produce the required energy to drive a vessel beyond warp factor 9.99.
The reasons are the very nature of the MARA itself. This system relies on the reaction of deuterium and anti-hydrogen to yield the catalystic plasma. At low warp velocities, the high ratio of matter to anti-matter produces enough plasma at sufficient energies to induce a subspace field. The ratio is lowered as the warp factor is increased, until at warp factor eight and above where the ratio is even at 1:1 . Earlier trials that injected an offset ratio for either reactant at these power levels caused Critical feedback surges in the Plasma Transfer Conduit. The end result would be a core breach and destruction of the MARA. It is technically beyond our science at the moment to develop a MARA that can handle such feedback and stress. At present no known design, or any predicted design will guarantee a MARA that can produce a field strength greater than 7912 Cochranes, or a velocity of warp 9.99. for an extended period of time.
Ongoing research in warp core and subspace coil design has lead to promising results of more efficient operations, however, it is unlikely that these designs will yield speeds in the area we would like to see. It is also very doubtful that any type of co-axial warp, or transwarp velocities will be meet either.
In short, the MARA has given us all it can.
Greater speeds will call for alternative power production sources. I am asking for authorization to open a panel for discussion of this topic and the creation of an Alternative Drive Systems Laboratory to seek innovative theoretical and operational drive systems, and offer any challenge to my staff's findings.

Capt. T. Avery.
--------------------------------

Starfleet Command
Engineering Division
TO: Capt. Terence Avery, Chief Administrator, Office of Subspace Physics and Warp Principles.
FROM: Adm. Cynthia Warwick, Administrator, Dept. Warp Propulsion
SUBJECT: RE:Matter/Anti-matter Reactor Assembly Limitations
DATE: SD 49654.06 (27 AUG 2372)

Capt. Avery:

After reviewing your paper, we have concluded that Starfleet has a credible problem facing it. I concur with your recommendations and we will strive to meet this technical challenge before us.

[MATERIALS DELETED FOR ABRIDGEMENT]

Adm. Warwick
Department of Warp Propulsion.

--------------------------------------

///
Alternative Drive Systems Laboratories, Jupiter.

TO: Capt. Terence Avery, Chief Administrator, Office of Subspace Physics and Warp Principles.
FROM: Cmd. Tonn Gorammenchariaanoptu, Team Chief Gamma Group
SUBJECT: Artificial Quantum Singularity power source.
DATE: SD 50210.25 (18 MAR 2373)

Capt. Avery:

Regretfully my team has not been able to make any breakthrough at achieving a better catalystic plasma than the standard M/AR. Also we are having a difficult time with these AQSs as their evaporation rates are unique as each one we create. Standardizing these little nightmares has become, what I understand to be, a 'royal pain in the ass.' If we are going to make this work, our Diplomatic Delegation to Romulus is going to have to present us with the Romulan technology for AQSs. If not, we are not going to make our deadline.

Commander Gora 'tu.

---------

////
///
DATE: SD 50334.15 (02 MAY 2373)

Capt. Avery:

I received your notice of the failed Diplomatic request. I didn't think the Romulans trusted us that much to divulge their warp secrets to us so openly.
Never-the-mind. Lt. Foster Benson suggested we work toward creating a massive monopole instead of an artificial singularity. Our computer trial runs indicate that it is possible to do so. Entrapping single polarity magnetic flux lines into a birthing AQS will be tricky, but we are on the problem.

Cmd. Gora 'tu

----------------------
----------------------

Starfleet Command
Engineering Division
Alternative Drive Systems Laboratories, Jupiter.
Gamma Group
SUBJECT: A Comparative Summary between MARA systems and Monopolar Reactor Assembly systems.
DATE: SD 53788.47 (15 OCT 2376)

For about three hundred years, our starships have employed matter/antimatter reactors to generate the energy needed to distort the continuum for faster-than-light travel. It is at the end of the twenty-fourth century that we see and end to that era, as we have reached the operational limits of the standard warp drive.
To expand beyond Warp 9.99 through to Transwarp, will call the introduction of other methods for achieving such high energy production and expenditure. Gamma Group has produced a Prototype Research and Development Class 7 power core utilizing a single Monopole as the energy deriving unit.
I now present the Pros and Cons of the current MARA system, following, the Pros and Cons of the MRA system.

MARA
PROS
-Long service term. As the MARA has been in use for a few hundred years, it has undergone swift evolution. The MARA is a near perfect science. The vessels that use them have experienced safety procedures and operational usage. The crew assigned to operate and maintain the MARA have extensive training and understanding of this system.

-Standardized. The system is so standardized that crewmen have no difficulty operating or maintaining various models and make of MARA systems.

-Serviceability. A vast network has existed for centuries to support matter/antimatter propulsion. This type of warp drive is common to many races within and outside the Federation.

CONS
-Reaction creates plasma. At high ratio, the plasma is more abundant and delivers substantial energy. At lower ratios, less plasma is added, although higher energy is coupled to the existing plasma sufficiently enough to reach the Peak Transitional Threshold into WF8 and WF9. Increased speeds demand more power than the MARA can produce and/or the coils can withstand.

-Anti-matter is extensively dangerous, and is the leading cause of damage or destruction to vessels through handling mishaps, core breaches, or combat.

-The warp core itself is large taking up substantial space.

-The warp field is large and has a slow density propagation rate making it easy to detect decaying subspace fields in the wake of a starship.

-Needs dithium as a moderating agent in the reaction process.

MRA
PROS
-The reactor assembly is smaller, able to fit in entirely in a standard engineering room.

-Monopole is created in a spacial compression field . Monopole polarity can be determined at will. The production of an opposite monopole will cause the two monopoles to annihilate each other. This enables the Operator to activate and deactivate the monopole when necessary, unlike a AQS which cannot be 'turned off.'

-Monopoles react will all matter. Potential fuel products embrace all safe handling substances. The PRDC7 core ran well with water as a fuel. No dilithium is needed.

-Plasma is not created in the reaction, but exist in natural form in storage aboard the vessel. The reaction's primary function is high energy generation, plasma is generated however, but this is a secondary role. (PRDC7 core used cesium monocoranate as a plasma agent.)

-A Plasma Toroidal Reservoir (PTR), the main component of the MRA, maintains the plasma and regulates the energy transfer to the Plasma Transfer Conduits. To protect against breeches, the plasma may be vented overboard, or undergo supercooling within the PTR. Since a plasma leak from a possible breech will not destroy the vessel (mass classes 4 to 0), there is no need for an ejection system.

-In conjunction with new theoretical coil system designed especially for this type of warp drive, the subspace fields are smaller, more compact, and propagate density faster, making it difficult to detect the fields passively.

-Computer simulations indicate that Peak Transitional Thresholds occur at different intervals than with the MARA system, and use less power at attaining them. This means that fractional warp values are no less efficient that integer warp values, giving commanding officers more control over the speed of their vessels at any multiple of lightspeed within the velocity parameters.

CONS
-A new system will undoubtedly be plagued with problems as technical, mechanical, and procedural anomalies are discovered during and after their testing phases. Many of these unforeseeable problems will happen in the field. Crew training will suffer until a majority of the problems are solved.

As we can see, in the long run, the Monopolar Reactor Assembly system will provide the energy needed for Enhanced Warp Drive. The MRA is far more safer than the MARA, both in fuel type and lack of anti-matter. We have proven that the MRA is viable in the lab. We ask that the project be advanced to Phase Two.

(see ATTACHMENTS for Computer Analysis of Subspace Field Density/Power Usage Graph, and the logs for Phase One.)

--------------------

Starfleet Command
Engineering Division
Advanced Warp Drive Branch

(see ROUTING)
DATE: SD 59118.6 (13 FEB 2382)

TALKING PAPER: Completion of Phase Three, Monopolar Toroidal Warp Core and CDDU Mark I, SFC5600 Series Nacelle, System Integration and Vessel Tests

After many hardships and failures, the Monopole Project Phase III has been completed successfully. The Experimental Research and Development Class 4 Monopole Reactor Core had been placed in the facility's Oberth-class NX - C4TBO/04 on stardate 56494.2. For a year and a half the team has experienced difficulty marrying the core to the ship's systems. ERDC4MRC-03 was damaged beyond repair when a containment field holding the monopole shifted phase adjustment, moving the monopole into the upper spacial compression anode with catastrophic results. The setback was seven months before the engine room was repaired and the ERDC4MRC-04 was installed. That being the major problem, the other ones are far to numerous and insignificant to mention here.

On SD 58684.2, the C4TBO/04 begin to pass all the trial run tests, up to a 'full throttle' run. On this date all previous warp velocity records were broken. Cruise velocity remained at a stable WF 9.9825. Maximum velocity was held at WF 9.999799 (just under subspace communication speeds) for 30 minutes, and retained WF 9.99125 for one hour. The tests were repeated the following day with the same results.

Five months of follow-up testing and alternate materials and procedures simulations have afforded a working Warp Propulsion System that is ready for production and installation on future and up-gradable spaceframes.

-----------------------

Starfleet Command Headquarters
To: Department of Starfleet Military Reserves
Subject: Starship Design and Refit to Up-grade to MRA warp drive system.
Date: SD 62452.85 (15 JUN 2385)
ATTN: LRAdm. Paul Cargile, Executive Weapons/Arsenalship Designer, ASDBSMR.

Effective on this date, the MRA (see ATTACHED FILES) will be replacing the toroidal MARA system currently in use, except on spaceframes that are not compatible. All the current arsenal ships designed specifically for the SMR are viable for swapout.

Adm. Scott Vancel, Director of Refits, Starfleet Command.

------- END TRANSMISSION ----

------------------
"I'll try a roll."

Obscure SW:TPM quote

[This message was edited by Cargile on June 17, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting idea. I need to read up on the theory behind monopoles.

But what I really like is your presentation style. Very nice.

------------------
"According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes."
--
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, Cargile. That's good. Equally good at writing tech documents, and drawing ships. It's impressive. Most impressive. Though you'll have to explain how the monopolar part works to me. I gather that there is only one magentic pole, but how does it generate so much power?

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, because the guys that think about this stuff all day long say so. I trust their PhDs for some reason. LOL.

Here is the page where I found the info on the monopole.

When Proton Meets Monopole

This presentation will one day find itself on the SMR page.

------------------
"I'll try a roll."

Obscure SW:TPM quote

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, Cargile. This is excellent! You presented it in a very good way. I eagerly await the diagrams of the MRA.

------------------
Star Trek: Dark Horizon
Creator, Owner, Only Writer

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cargile, this really kicks butt. I might use this for one of my ships as well.

------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps