Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Before And after" - Funny paradox

Author Topic: "Before And after" - Funny paradox
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is old to you, but I want to discuss these issues since I just saw this ep for the first time.

It's very intriguing how Kes's exposure to Krenim croniton-particles in the future makes her timetravel when later being treated in the doctor's machine.
Very surprising to show a glimpse of future episodes.

When seeing that Kes learned details about the Krenim and their weapons in the future, I assumed her knowledge of the future would be drained when she was restored to her own time.
Instead, Kes runs off in the end of the episode, hurrying to write down everything valuable she has learned from the future and the Krenim.

Now, since she didn't predict vanishing into space in another dimension after "Scorpion" I assume the timeline Voyager DID continue in differed greatly from Kes's glimpses.

Still, Voyager should've been expecting to encounter the Krenim and their unconventional weapons in "Year of Hell, Pt. I" even if Janeway didn't have to say "Aah, hello at last."

Is this one of the continuity-glitches you guys talk so often about?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old brownie."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yes.

That's my line.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have there been other examples where actual episodes have been foretold?

------------------
How dare you, Dangerboy?

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the best connection between seperate episodes would have to be "Demon" and "Course: Oblivion"

Despite how impossible it may be to duplicate matter with the "silver blood" in the latter ep, the former was darn cool. Watching Janeway's face turn into globs of gooo has a magical effect. I'm also a fan of watching Voyager destruct/fall apart/be destroyed. Hmmm, let me count the eps (Timeless, Course: Oblivion, Year of Hell, Relativity, etc.)

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kosh: Oops, my bad.

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old brownie."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dukhat: It's a crummy old danish, not a crummy old brownie

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure we can say that the omission of prior knowledge about the Krenim was a continuity error. It was a mistake, but an error? "Year of Hell" featured scenes right out of "Before and After", with the sole difference being Kes swapped out for Seven. Braga was up to something with this, I can feel it. Pity he never bothered to let anyone else in on the plan.

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Nim
Member # 205

Yes, the idea was very good, and if we want to play it the fanfic-way we could say Janeway knew when she got hailed by that Krenim monitor but didn't flinch.

Besides, imagine if she, when remembering, would turn away from the viewscreen, cup her hand beside her mouth and go "Guys, guys, do you remember what Kes said six months ago? Well, these are the clowns she mentioned. Now get back to work...MHMM, yes Mr. Krenim, you were saying?"

------------------
How dare you, Dangerboy?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Thanks, Fabrux. Usually I get my quotes from the Simpsons episode guide, but it didn't have that one so I just wrote it from memory.

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old danish."

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh look... A topic on my favorite subject...

I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on what exactly was going on with the Krenim. First, I heard that Braga actually wanted the Year of Hell to be an ongoing thing throughout Season 4, in which case the whole Kes thing might have been explained later on, but someone (I can't remember who, possibly Berman) vetoed the idea. Then I heard there was in fact a line that mentioned the events in "Before and After," but that it was cut for some unmentioned reason.

------------------
"Oh my god... If I have to listen to Pokemon sing in Danish, I'm going to cry..."

- My sister, 7/7/00

Nim
Member # 205

Very interesting.
A pity though, you can only do a thing like this once in a series or so, and then they only went halfway.

------------------
How dare you, Dangerboy?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least we know that Braga has SOME desire for continuity.

And just imagine what would have happened if they'd ended an entire season the way they ended that two-parter. Talk about the ultimate reset button.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps