Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Doctor... musings

Author Topic: The Doctor... musings
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I just finished watching "Virtuoso" and was thinking after the Janeway/Doctor thing about treating the Doctor as 'equipment'... well... If its time for Harry Kim to get a promotion, I think the Doctor should get a field commission. He DESERVES it.

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But then, he's just a program. You probably don't see him on screen when he's acting like one.

Doctor: Your Computer has performed an Illegal Operation. If this program performs the error again, please contact the program vendor.
{Collapses to the floor}
Paris: Not again ...

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

A scene that was cut from last season's "Rock" episode, Tsumkatse:
Rock: Do ya smell what the Rock's cookin'?
Janeway: Mr. Rock, was that you?
Tuvok: An intriguing smell ...

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More like dissappears into thin air.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, the time-honored MS fashion, simply gets stuck and refuses to acknowledge "end task".

"Ugghh.. Somebody pull the socket so that we can get his hands off poor B'Elanna's abdomen and close the incision." "I don't think that's wise - the idiot used holographic clamps again. If we cut power, she'll burst open." "Gawd. We have to secure her somehow. Is the stasis device holographic, too?" "Nope, but we can't reach it when the bastard is standing there and blocking the console..."

Timo Saloniemi

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Activate EHH!"
"Please state the nature of the medical emergency."
"Ack! I'm dying! Help me!"
"Bad command or filename."
"Do something you damn hologram!"
"Bad command or filename"
"A....ck....gurgle...*thud*"
"Incorrect syntax"

------------------
Efficiency is a highly developed form of laziness. - anon (...and boy am I efficient...)
A real diplomat is one who can cut his neighbour�s throat without having his neighbour notice it. � Trygve Lie

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Your Computer has performed an Illegal Operation."

Is that a pun?

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I'm assured by the 24th century Unix is the native OS for everything.

Doctor: Welcome to [user.localhost], please enter your name and password

and yet on other ocassions ...

[Please rephrase the question]
Paris: Geeze, I said ls /root/voyager/maincomputer rpm voy-prog-19384.tar.gz -isl /local/apps

------------------

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Tolstoy, on a more objective note.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, Unix humor...

------------------
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Pull your body for a moment from your soul.

SCSImperium
Member # 397

quote:
Unix humor...

Not even Jerry Sienfeld could make it seem funny ...

------------------

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry: "Have you ever noticed all those /'s in Unix!?!"

Patient: "Help Doc I'm DYING!" *gurgle*
Doctor: "Abort Retry Fail?"
Patient: "Help"
Patient: "This hurts"
Patient: *collapses*

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you should tell us what the Line of Unix Code is supposed to do? I'm kinda rusty on it right now.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

SCSImperium
Member # 397

ls=LiSt
rpm=Redhat Packet Manager, though the command means to unzip the contents of the packet archive specified to the directory specified.
tar.gz=Tape ARchive/GZip=Standard file compression for Unix/Linux/etc.
-isl=Parameters. Actually, I've forgotten their meaning, but its standard to use them when unziping a archive which is source code for a program.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SCSImperium (edited August 16, 2000).]

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know there's a reason I never attempted Unix, this is why. It's too damn complicated.
I don't care who wins over in 300 years, just so long as it ain't MS or Apple.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all know the entire frickin' Universe runs on LCARS clones in the 24th century .

LCARS looks as complicated as UNIX, with all those numbers on the buttons, instead of normal words for us poor Microsoft-slaves.

------------------
MS Windows Error 014: Unexplained error - Please tell us how this happened
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

SCSImperium
Member # 397

Though you can tell your computer likes it MUCH better when you boot up Linux instead of Windows. There's always this loud hum when I'm in Windows, but things are pretty quiet in Linux ... mmmm, there's nothing more serene than the X-Term prompt.

------------------

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps