Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Shouldn't It Be A Ghost Ship?

Author Topic: Shouldn't It Be A Ghost Ship?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I'm wondering ...

Voyager starts out with 170 or so officers and crew. SEVEN years ago. Do you really think we should still be seeing this many faces onboard? How many crew has she lost? You'd think it'd be down to the senior staff and no one else by now.

I dunno.

------------------
Did you hear the one about the $30,000 Ford Explorer, the dog, and the lit stick of dynamite? Suffice to say, the dude's still gotta make 4 years worth of car payemnts and his dog is scattered all over the place to boot

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Losing a handful of people each season hardly adds up to losing the whole crew, or even a sizable majority.

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In recent episodes the number 150 is mentioned several times. But I can remember numbers like 145 and 140 being mentioned...

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. *And*, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!

- Commander Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new ST Magazine does a Voyager crew count that seems to be fairly accurate. IIRC, it's at about 145? I forget what I read... I'll try and post it later. But remember, they picked up people occasionally, too. 2 as soon as they arrived, some bunch more when the Maquis signed up, 5 or so from Ransom's ship, Seven of Nine.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Naomi!

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The 37s" was repeated today, and the crew is given at 152 (I guess some may already have died)

Something puzzling, though ... Chakotay and Janeway are talking about how many people it takes to staff the ship. If the crew is 152, then it takes 50 people to crew Voyager at any one time. You figure three shifts, everbody works 8 hours and has 16 hours off (and no days off).

They say if half the crew leaves, they won't be able to staff the ship. That would give them 75 some-odd people ... I think it would be enough to run the ship. Ok, people would be doing double shifts and the such, but its doable. My friend is in the Marines and came back from Kosovo a year ago or so. He was aboard a ship crewed by the Navy and carrying Marines, and their equipment, vehicles, etcetra. The Navy ship has a crew of 300 and was DESPERATELY understaffed, officers and crew were routinely pulling double shifts.

------------------
You wouldn't understand ... it's a Jeep thing

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've seen Voyager run by as few as two people before. Or even one if you count the last few seconds of "Year of Hell". But I think that they are purposely cautious in such estimates. For a ship in normal conditions, you should only need enough crew to run it and make minor repairs. Voyager requires, as a minimum, enough crew to make major repairs, because who else is going to do it?

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does "skeleton crew" mean the minimum amount of crew WITHOUT double-shifts and automated systems, or is it the most extreme of cut-downs, with as many systems as possible running on "auto", and about twenty people doing fifty people's work?
Read: Is "skeleton crew"-mode a sustainable state, given that it's planned and decided (not thrusted upon someone, like in "Equinox") ?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's a technical definition for "skeleton crew". I think it just means you're running w/ about as few people as you can.

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps