Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Unimatrix Zero: The End. (Spoilers, obviously.)

Author Topic: Unimatrix Zero: The End. (Spoilers, obviously.)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've spent much of Voyager's run in denial.

Not about the show, which I've liked, more or less, since it started. About the Borg. Of course, every fan loves the Borg, it seems. They're a genuinely innovative villian. Or were.

It isn't entirely fair to blame Voyager for this downfall. The concept at the heart of the Borg was changed in their very first episode, as they went from having scouted all the way to the Neutral Zone to never having heard of the Federation before.

So ok, this is episodic television, things change over time, etc. Why not? Borg queen? Sure, ok, makes sense in the context of the movie.

But we seem to have reached a point that the writers were intent on making inevitable. The end, or at least the final emasculation, of the Borg.

I say intent upon because it wasn't necessary. There are powerful, even Borg-like entities in other science fiction stories that don't have to be constantly undercut in order to make the story work.

Maybe it's better this way. Better to have a Collective in shambles than keep up the pretence of a raving loon queen being in control of the whole thing. (Off with their heads!) Better to just do away with assimilation, rather than having it seem about as scary as a trip to the eye doctor.

I don't really think it's better. But then, I'm overly optimistic. I think that there might be a chance to pull a revived Borg out of this mess in time for sweeps month/series finale/next Trek project/whathaveyou. But I wouldn't bet on it.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps