Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Doctor's Survival - "Living Witness"

Author Topic: The Doctor's Survival - "Living Witness"
Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thinking back to "Living Witness". We don't know when the 'real' Voyager's contact with the aliens (someone tell me the name, please!) takes place. i.e. That timeline hasn't (to our knowledge) yet been excised. It could be the Doc doesn't make it home with the rest of the crew, just as the episode suggested.

------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's pretty much assumed that the 23rd-century part of the episode took place at the episode's time, ie at that part of the year.

What's always been much more interesting to me is that all those hundred of years in the future, and yet the Federation hasn't made it out as far as this civilization.

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the 23rd Century parts of "Living Witness" did take place at the same time a regular episode would have. That was verified in "Course: Oblivion," when Chakotay made the comment that the planet in "Demon" was in the Vascan sector (the Vascans were one of the two species in "Living Witness.")

------------------
"The only good thing about this film is the edible chocolate roaches they gave out. Mmm, mmm... Wait a minute, edible roaches don't crawl. Edible roaches don't crawl!"

- Jay Sherman, The Critic.

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And as i recall the stolen version from the doctor was a backup module.

Crap,i needed one as my pc was crashed by a virus.

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question is, why can they make a copy of the Docs files, like when they sent him back to the Federation? He, of all the characters, can be the one to be in several places at once. Then a return transmission would only need to include the updated files, which could be transmitted back and forth, leaving room for letters and what not.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why should they be able to copy the Doctor any better than they can copy themselves? (Leaving aside the issue of their body, for the moment.)

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that would be too much of work. And why should they do this when a transmission should suffice.
The broadcast quality seems to be very unstable and the compressed holographic datastream of a character (or the doctor) would degrade too much.
Anyway they were not sending a copy over to the alpha quadrant, and when they did it in "Lifeline" most of the doctors subprograms and additions were seperated from the main program because that was too much data to handle.
Maybe this EMH backup module does not include the doctors holographic appearance, only his memory files, and this race in "living witness" reconstructed the rest accordingly. At first they made him a robot, after they found the backup module their computer made him look right.
Just a thought...

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were the "Living Witness" races warp-capable? Perhaps they are still under PD protection 700 years from "now", which is why they know nothing of the Federation... The style of government demonstrated there would probably prohibit the development of warp drive.

I mean, successful hiding of key facts of history from 700 years in the past requires either a systematic and complete destruction of old records, or a continuing repression for the better part of those 700 years. I doubt destruction could be 100% complete if the style of oppressive goverment had been at it for only a short while - and even a single hint of the Voyager story being less than candid would rattle the foundations of the society mightily. It seems the static government would have to have been in place for ages, certainly preventing invention or publishing of invention of warp drive.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the Vascans were warp capable as, at the end of the ep, it was mentioned that the Doc took a small ship and headed for the Alpha Quadrant. Without warp, he wouldn't have had a chance.

Whether they had warp or not, it seems obvious that they knew of other races when Voyager got to their planet otherwise, Voyager would never have established contact.

And, yes, the backup module that was stolen seems to be a complete copy of the Doc's files. Why they didn't use this in Message in a Bottle when the Doc was off playing counter-insurgent, I don't know. My guess is that they have since replaced this backup module.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, the innocence and naivet� of youth. . . The Doctor was away on a mission from which he was generally (as long as they were being optimistic) expected to return. The backup copy was just that, there for use if the original was beyond use. Once running, it would be to all intents and purposes, The Doctor. What happened if the original comes back? You say thansk, and delete him? Or do you delete the copy, now an individual in its own right? Maybe you could try to integrate them, but face facts, the programme was so screwed to buggery beyond its original architecture by then, it'd be a big risk.

No, in the meantime, until they knew they'd need the backup, they could just utilise the Doctor's assistant - even if he was a lazy incompetent little git.

------------------

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You make a good point. But "youth"? "Naivet�"? I beg your pardon.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Lee
Member # 393

Hee hee. �)

------------------

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps