Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Shattered" (minor spoilers)

Author Topic: "Shattered" (minor spoilers)
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw the new ep last night, and I have to say it was pretty good. Although I hate those time-travel episodes in which everything is restored by the end and the episode "never really happened," this particular ep was more of a fun romp than a serious story. The only question I had was why all the crewmembers were unconscious 17 years in the future.

Also, it was definitely stated here that Voyager was Janeway's first command, which (again) contradicts Jeri Taylor's novel Pathways.

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy -
Timeline of Pertinent Events

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it also contradicts the show (I haven't seen the episode yet). I think Tuvok said her first command was the U.S.S. Billings.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Janeway was just the first officer of the Billings. Tuvok made a reference to it in the episode where they are traveling through a two-year expanse of void. I think it was either "Night" or "Void."

Anyway, Janeway sent some crew members on a dangerous mission and they got hurt. So Janeway went off alone to complete the mission. And I recall Tuvok saying that this incident was while she was first officer of the Billings.

------------------
694 consecutive rejections by women since January 1993.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dukhat: I think they were only in the future in Astrometrics. The unconscious bodies were part of another timeline.

------------------
"And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye."
-Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The episode was "Night", but I'm positive Tuvok said it during her first command aboard the U.S.S. Billings. Now, I have to go watch the tape agian...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tuvok said she was a Commander. This could either be interpreted as rank or position. Since "Shattered" says Voyager was her first command, "Commander" could only be interpreted as rank without contradicting or invalidating Tuvok's statement.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited January 18, 2001).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or she could have had the rank of commander, and been the captain.. a theory not unheard of.

I didn't get to see this episode because it was pre-empted for a damn college basketball game. Same as last week, except Voyager was a repeat so it didn't bother me. I'm not the only one that was upset too, one of the morning DJ's on the radio is a Trekkie and he was complaining about the pre-empting, and several listeners called in saying they were pissed too.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw this episode, and I have to agree that it was a good one.

The fact that "it never really happen" is for the best when you consider the type of paradoxes that would be brought up otherwise.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point was probably that they shouldn't even write episodes that require a "reset button"...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think people have overused the phrase "reset button" realistically - most TNG episodes were "reset button" episodes... Continuity on the other hand, is a more desirable trait... TNG did this in large chocolate helpings...

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmnnn...large chocolate helpings...

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy -
Timeline of Pertinent Events

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps