Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some commentary on "Friendship One" (minor $) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some commentary on "Friendship One" (minor $)
Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they could've killed Vorik off instead, not Joe.

------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point. They could've just as easily killed off someone who wasn't terribly popular... Vorik would've done rather nicely. OTOH, if they didn't bring Carey back, we would've been always wondering where he *did* go.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did Carey become so "popular", anyway? I had forgotten he ever existed until the past couple years when people started bringing up the subject of where he went...

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, anyone care to tell me why Friendship One had STARFLEET PENNANTS on her hull? The simple fact that it had the Arrowhead is bad enough!

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, it was quite stupid of the writers to think that ANYONE would use antimatter in their planetary power grid. You use supplies of already existing material to generate energy (coal, uranium, etc.). Antimatter doesn't exist naturally in any significant quantity available to planetary populations, and thus would not be a viable power supply. It's used in starships just because it's the most compact possible energy source. It still takes more energy to create than it gives back.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My view on why there was the arrowhead on the hull of Friendship One:

E-E goes back in time to prevent Borg from assimilating humans. They meet with Cochrane and Lily. They see the arrowhead emblem and remember it. When time comes to build Friendship One, Cochrane and Lily are consulted. They help in design and/or construction. They also remember the arrowhead and place it on the probe. (possibly intentionally to honor the future E-E and Starfleet as well as humanities future as well) Probe is launched. Arrowhead may vageuly remain in Earth history. When Starfleet is created, they use a slightly different arrowhead based on the "future" design on their ships and stations. (Not knowing the full source of it's origin) It's also used to represent the Enterprise. The arrowhead is slightly modified and adapted to represent all of Starfleet. It's modified over the years and by coincidence is modified "back" to the "future" version, still not knowing it's this version that starts the whole arrowhead design and usage in process.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, cool idea. Did Lily ever see the banner form of the emblem though? I mean, I know she saw the emblem somewhere, but it's a pretty big coincidence to make the arrowhead with the twin red streaks behind it and never have seen it before.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who says the delta and red stripes weren't simply invented by the Friendship-1 builders, and the design has survived over the centuries? If this probe was so immensely important to Earth history that Paris and Kim had to memorize the recording inside it in third grade, it's entirely possible that the logos were intentionally used by Starfleet.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lily did see the arrowhead on everyone's combadge and maybe on the dedication plaque as well when she was on the bridge. Cochrane may have see the commbadges as well. I don't think any of them ever saw the pennant though, but perhaps Cochrane had a closer look at the exterior of the Enterprise when we weren't looking.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have a question about this episode and Seven. Like other episodes, we saw her extract nanoprobes and donate them for a good purpose, but isn't she going to run out of them? Or does her body manufacture them??
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I expect her nanoprobes are self-replicating.

And I don't see why a causality loop is necessary. The "delta" and penant need to have been invented at some point. I don't see why it couldn't have been that early, w/o E-E influence...

------------------
-Maynard James Keenan

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I know it's REALLY not canon, but that book Star Trek: Federation had a great explanation for the origin of the arrowhead. The star in the center was supposed to stand for c or the speed of light. The outer curve on the left was the energy curve needed to reach c, and the outer curve on the right shows how the energy requirements drastically drop off after c has been attained. The curve below the star represents the energy curve when warp fields are used.

P.S. And Cochrane was the one that came up with it.

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited April 30, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The symbol, plus commentary.

I'm with TSN. I think we should avoid time traveling symbology whenever possible.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

P0sitr0nic
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
As for where Carey went, as he IS an engineer, I always assumed he had been assigned to 24/7 Shuttle building duty, as Voyager seems to go thru them at a rate unheard of in all of Starfleet history..
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps