Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The chain of command (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The chain of command
Xanthi
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'm Australian so I may be a little behind here since the last Voyager episode we've seen is 'imperfections', so forgive me if what I say is out dated.

Do you ever wonder why Harry Kim is still an ensign?(at least he still is at the point which we're up to). I mean the guy has died for the ship, been eaten inside out, been imprisoned, and nearly been killed hundreds more times. Yet he is still only an ensign. What does he have to do to make Lieutenant!

Janeway was very quick to demote Paris for screwing up, it's a shame she doesn't do the job so well in reverse.

If anyone deserves a promotion Harry does

------------------

IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But.. "Star Trek *needs* and ensign, else it wouldn't be Star Trek". At least that seems to be the opinion of the producers. Apparently the Star Trek formula requires the titular junior officer, who would go through the coming of age stuff, the inexperienced stuff, and the stuff that happens only to the young guys. Look at Star Trek history. Who gets the most pain inflicted on them? The most limbs blown off? The most botched love affairs? Lots of wierd anomalies thrown at them? That's right - the ensigns. Checkov, Wesley, Ro, Nog, Kim.

With Kim specifically, they apparently *need* an Ensign to beat up on, and it's him. Kim gets to tell everyone and his parents that there are "limited command positions" on the ship. But Paris gets semoted, and then RE-promoted for good behaviour. Tuvok gets promoted. And in both those cases, it measn absolutely NO change in their responsibilities aboard ship. Who's left in the lurch? Kim.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget O'Brian. He wasn't even an officer, and we all know how much the writers loved torturing him.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's what I & my former roommates called the "Chekov Syndrome." Every series needs a screamer who basically gets physically &/or emotionally raped every third week. For TOS, it was Chekhov. For TNG, it was Geordi. For DS9, it was O'Brien, & for VGR, it's Harry.

For Series 5, my bet's either on this "Mayweather" dude or the hot Japanese chick.

------------------
"I�ll never fall in the arms of someone sincere
I fall just the same
And like before, it's just too hard."
---Kim Leaman, "Sincere"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was explained in one episode this season. Kim says that he understands Janeway needs to maintain a command structure aboard the ship. In other words, she can't continue to promote everyone who deserves it because there's no where for them to go. She'd have a ship full of Lt.s and Lt. Commanders afore long.

Kim stated that, if they were home, he might have made Lt. Commander by now. Wishful thinking if you ask me, but that's what he thought.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the discrimiante
end of story LOL

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aban, actually, I don't think it's that unrealistic, especially during a war of the magnitude of the Dominion War. Granted, he'd only make the rank if he survived, but ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true, Jeff. When a lot of people get killed, alot of people get promoted.

They crew knows about the Dommie War by that point, so Kim may have been referring to his possiblities due to the war.

I was just thinking about how Data said he spent 8 years in the Lt. ranks. But, that was during peace time.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Data may have been doing other things than trying to get promoted.... He's multi-tasking, but for a thing that can last forever there wouldn't seem to be a rush, plus he may have been overlooked, being and android and all....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, somehow, I don't see Data "pushing" himself as hard as a human cadet who knows they'll be retiring in forty years or so. Considering Data spent 10 years as a Lt. Commander prior to TNG ("DataLore"), he's been that rank for almost a human's entire career!

Actually, if I ever get around to picking up on Gamma Quadrant, Year Two will feature a new character from a race who lives almost one thousand years. They're very laid-back to human standards, and this character will be rather young for his people -- 300 or so years, with half of that in Starfleet: and he's only a lieutenant. The reason being is that he's in no rush: he'll be happy if he makes it to lieutenant commander by the end of the 25th Century, and is in no hurry to get promoted.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 09, 2001).]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For TOS, it was Chekhov. For TNG, it was Geordi. For DS9, it was O'Brien, & for VGR, it's Harry.
---
A (suppose to be) Russian, a African-American, an Irish, a Korean. My gosh, Trek is being totally racist! ^_^''' At least those red shirts just die and stay dead, these guys have to take these treatment seasons after seaons!

My friend Chekhov over there will have another brutal beating by a large looking alien, a good ol' mind violation for my black friend there, another prison term for the good Chief, and a double AAAAHHHHHH-it-is-eating-me-from-the-inside for the young Mr. Kim.

On a positive note, Chekhov does get to do some torturing in B5 as Bester. ^_^

------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you can see, Trek is indeed going around and indiscrimanately choosing it's victim's one by one.

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... Paris took things almost as bad as Kim, actually. There was a website documenting all the times he's been made bleed on the show, wish I could find it now. And there was the small matter of the Salamander, no?

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Deanna Troi
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to the board and a new-ish trekker, and this cracked me up because it has bugged me for awhile watching Kim not really grow as a character. He ends up looking inferior by the simple fact that he is about 35 years old and never moves up season after season, they drag his ass through ep after ep, just getting dumped on.

This is a great board, I'm enjoying the read.

------------------

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

More like 28 years old, methinkith.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps