Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Issue with "Homestead" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Issue with "Homestead"
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that bugged me about this episode was the question: "how did the Talaxians end up in that asteroid belt, roughly 40.000 lightyears from their homeworld, so quickly?".

Think about it: Talax surrenders in 2366, 5 years before Voyager arrives. The ship reaches the asteroid field in 2378 (the opening scene states 315 years have passed since First Contact), where the inhabitants have lived for the past 5 years. That places their first visit to the belt somewhere in 2373, 7 years after they left Talax.

Now, Voyager has had some outside help during its journey: the transwarp coil, Kes' gift, the slipstream jump, a.o. The Talaxian convoy however presumably travelled under their own power all the time. So, unless Talaxian warpdrive technology is considerably more advanced than the Federation's, just how were they able to cover the distance in =< 7 years? Vaudwaar conduits perhaps?

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's because this is yet another issue of the many Delta Quadrant alien races who can apparently travel tens of thousands of light-years across the entire quadrant, and yet Janeway never bothers to ask them how they do it.

In the writers' defense, I'm pretty sure that the first drafts of the script gave this information, but that it presumably got cut because TPTB deemed it unimportant to the story.

------------------
Lisa: "OK, now we're gonna pick jobs out of the chore hat. Dad, you go first."
Homer: "Come on, bikini inspector...scrub toilet! Ohhhwww...OK, that was a practice..."

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They can always fall back on, *gasp*, the Preservers.....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago, a fan made himself by writing a Nitpickers Guide - things he'd noticed, but no one else had.

Jeez, these days he'd need to write an encyclopedia.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, he'd need a series of books. :p

------------------

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What!? Do you think that the Internet's real purpose was to enable communications in times of worldwide crisis!?

Get your heads out of yer arses, gentlemen!! It was designed so that nitpickers would have the facilities to gorge their obsession!

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and there was much rejoicing.

------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

P0sitr0nic
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
One COULD always assume these people left BEFORE the Talaxians surrendered..
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or that they hit a couple wormholes en-route ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming they hit wormholes is slightly far fetched. They're traveling essentially the same route that Voyager is taking. Between Talax and earth. Voyager could detect wormholes at a pretty great distance.

Of course, Voyager has made several jumps during which they could've skipped over the wormholes.

But how the Hell did the Talaxians make it through Borg space?!?!

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of people seem to have made it through Borg space.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know they took the same route as Voyager? Maybe they headed in a totally different direction, and hit a wormhole that deposited them where they ended up...

------------------
Quintesson 1: "It is a day so long in coming that I am uncertain how to celebrate it."
Quintesson 2: "Perhaps a quiet chuckle..."
Quintesson 1: "Very well, then. Let us... chuckle."
Quintessons: "Hehehehe..."
-The Transformers, "Five Faces of Darkness, part 3"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might actually have been good to have an ep where they considered the potential pitfalls in following a direct line straight to Earth - how many such anomalies and short-cuts might they have missed by choosing such a course? Closest thing we ever came to any what-might-have-been was the rather unpleasant voyage of the Equinox.. .

------------------
Phasers

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah... But, really, they had no choice. I mean, they could have gone in any direction, but they would have no idea what, if any, anomalies they would hit. So, really, the only logical choice was straight for the Federation...

------------------
Quintesson 1: "It is a day so long in coming that I am uncertain how to celebrate it."
Quintesson 2: "Perhaps a quiet chuckle..."
Quintesson 1: "Very well, then. Let us... chuckle."
Quintessons: "Hehehehe..."
-The Transformers, "Five Faces of Darkness, part 3"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know. But I'm a big fan of irony, and I like the idea that if they'd been a bit more creative in their course they might have found something useful. . . 8)

------------------
Phasers

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps