Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » 10 hours 54 minutes untill the Voyager finale. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 10 hours 54 minutes untill the Voyager finale.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
ahhhhh. I'm excited. With Enterprise here I feel an all new appreciation for Voyager! In all seriousness, I have a good vibe about the finale.

------------------
"I don't mind being called a liar when I'm lying, or am about to lie, or have just finished lying, but NOT WHEN I'M TELLING THE TRUTH!"--Homer Simpson.

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So where does it air and when?

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to record everything for screencaps! I don't get UPN where I am, and We MUST get the first visual details of Enterprise as they show up tonight!

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

MIB
Ex-Member

I am planing on recording it. Unfortuatly, I have no way of getting screen caps and posting them on the internet. Sorry. I'll describe some of the more interesting stuff for you though.

------------------
"I don't mind being called a liar when I'm lying, or am about to lie, or have just finished lying, but NOT WHEN I'M TELLING THE TRUTH!"--Homer Simpson.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes
very excited

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look, I'm interested. What's the main channel that will show "Endgame", that all of the US can share? I don't know squat about US television.

------------------

Samuel Hoffenstein

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I repeat, unless you're in NYC, there is no evidence to suggest you'll see Enterprise stuff after Endgame. (In other words, don't all start whinging and crying and saying TPTB lied to us.) What we do know is that UPN 9 from New York is doing a behind-the-scenes segment of Enterprise and from all indications it'll air only in the Big Apple. Does this rule out Paramount/UPN doing their own Enterprise preview that will air nationally? No. But we have no evidence whatever that such a preview exists.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible though.

Remember before Insurrection they had behind the scenes stuff during Voyager.

------------------
Captain Archer: "Leap me out of here Al."
Transporter Chief: "Uh, captain, it's 'beam' not leap, and stop calling me Al."
This post sponsored by the Federation Starship Datalink.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's primer on US (and Canadian) television:

It basically works on a two-tiered system: network (which is usually "broadcast" on the traditional "airwaves" from local stations, but often these days is more commonly piped to people on cable) and cable.

Network television consists of hundreds of individual "affiliate" stations that behave kind of like restaraunt franchises. They operate out of major cities and broadcast local material (usually limited to news shows) mixed in with the actual national programming beamed to them by the network via satellite and rebroadcast with advertising that is predominately local. Each station will have a three or four letter name known as "call letters", beginning with "W" in the Eastern US (don't ask me why), "K" in the Western US and "C" in Canada. There are seven American networks: three larger ones (ABC, CBS and NBC), FOX somewhere in the middle, the not-for-profit PBS, and two "netlets," UPN and WB.

(in addition to getting rebroadcasts of nearby American network stations in Canada, we have three additional networks of our own: the CBC [which, like the Beeb, is state-owned], and private nets CTV and Global. Our two private networks don't put out a lot of unique programming but instead buy a mishmash of programming off the American networks, so most nights the shows on CTV and NBC or Global and ABC might be identical. Independent channels tend to be more widespread up here, too.)

Most large cities have one TV station affiliated with each network, although in some smaller markets UPN affiliates have dropped out of the UPN fold, thus depriving people of Voyager. Additionally, most networks have a "flagship" station (WABC, WCBS, WNBC etc.) which pipes out a fairly region-nonspecific feeds to satellite subscribers, and would therefore be the only thing remotely close to a "central" station. UPN never got one of these set up, to my knowledge.

Cable is generally more like the European system, with homogenous broadcasting across the nation, although region-specific cable has begun to crop up for sports channels. Cable channels tend to exclusively contain specialized programming, like CNN or the Golf Channel or Home and Garden TV or the Disney Channel etc. While anyone can (theoretically) put up an antenna and get network TV, cable is exclusive to cable and cable companies will make you pay through the nose... they stick channels into tiers and force someone who wants to get the Sci-Fi channel to buy twenty other less obscure channels as well. Finally, there are strict regulations that keep most American cable stations from broadcasting in Canada (CNN, TBS, TNN, CNBC and A&E are pretty much the only ones that are allowed in as they appear in the States, IIRC), so we have our own clatter of cable unique to Canada.

It might make more sense if I showed off my rather unremarkable slate of channels I get at my parent's house. These are all piped in on cable, so I have no idea what one can actually get with an antenna around here:

Network:

• KREM (CBS from Spokane WA)
  • KXLY (ABC from Spokane WA)
  • KHQ (NBC from Spokane WA)
  • KSPS (PBS from Spokane WA)
    [to get the other American networks from Spokane, one must buy more cable. Oddly enough, my parents don't feel the need to get it. It's extortion, plain and simple ]
  • CBUT (CBC from Vancouver BC)
  • CISA (Global from Lethbridge AB)
  • C??? (Global from Vancouver BC, known only as BCTV)
  • CFCN (CTV from Calgary AB)
  • CIVT (CTV from Vancouver BC)

And then some bottom-tier cable channels, generally unwatchable:

• Knowledge Network (arse-grade public educational programming from Vancouver)
  • Vision TV (new age religious/spiritual crap network)
  • The Weather Network (not to be confused with the even less-imaginitively-named "The Weather Channel", which is the American equivalent)
  • YTV (Youth Television, Canada's pseudo-answer to Nickelodeon)
  • The Golf Channel (self explanatory)
  • SpeedVision (car/boat/plane racing *snore*)
  • Family Channel (turd bits)
  • CNBC (authentic American cable, but it still sucks)
  • CTV NewsNet (Canadian Headline News)
  • MuchMusic (Canada's asskickingly better equivalent of MTV)
  • MuchMoreMusic (Canada's asskickingly mediocre equivalent of VH1)
  • Country Music Television Canada (Thank the lord you don't get it)
    Plus, the flick-right-by's, including an Italian Channel and two French Channels and APTN (Aboriginal TV)

------------------
    "And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
    -DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

• Nim
    Member # 205

Wow! This was great. I'll save this, I might need to read it a couple of times to get it all.

So, UPN is/was the most frequent distributor of Trek, or just Voyager? Which network will get "Enterprise"?

Man, I guess you all have already seen "Endgame" now... *sob*

------------------

Samuel Hoffenstein

Nim
    Member # 205

Oh, and thanks for the inspiration.
    Fabrux
    Epic Member
    Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    I'd list my channels, but, well, there's ~200 of them, and I don't want to type that many channels...

------------------
    "I got a personal grudge against that rabbit, Jim!"
    - McCoy, "Shore Leave"

Soontir_Fel
    Ex-Member

Same, satellite channels are way too hard to keep track off. At least there's a favourites menu.

The_Tom, you're forgetting CITV (Global Edmonton) and Space: The Imagination Station (Canada's equivalent to the Sci-Fi Channel).

------------------
    "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Lord Darth Vader - (SW5: The Empire Strikes Back)

[This message has been edited by Soontir_Fel (edited May 23, 2001).]

TSN
    I'm... from Earth.
    Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Nimrod: UPN has only existed as long as "Voyager". It was the show they used to start the network. TNG and DS9 were both syndicated. That means Paramount made the shows, then sold them to whatever local stations wanted to show them.

------------------
    "Even the colors are pompous!"
    -a friend of mine, looking at a Lexus brochure

Harry
    Stormwind City Guard
    Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    So, ehh, *was* there any Enterprise stuff?

------------------
    "You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
    - Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
    ---
    Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps