Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Anslem

Author Topic: Anslem
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anslem is the name of one of Jake's books. He wrote it while being possessed by that demon in one episode, and it has some cool cover in "The Visitor" where Jake grows up after his dad is trapped in Subspace.

Well, I was walking in the place I worked when I came by the office of a person whose first name is Anslem. So I got thinking: Who or What is Anslem? And anyone have an idea what that book is about?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having just watched "The Visitor", I can tell you it's at least semi-biographical.

Perhaps Jake thinks of himself as Anslem?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Semi-autobiographical. A small but important distinction.

My guess is it's a coming of age story, probably about a boy similar to Jake growing up under similar conditions; deceased parent...raised in a distant alien environment, etc. Similar in tone to The Catcher in the Rye, perhaps? (I say that because Cirroc Lofton has named that as a favorite of his, and he's at least partially Jake, no?)

------------------
"Have you ever seen a bloody egg? Glass in hand, laying up in bed?"
--
They Might Be Giants

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, yes. That's what I meant, though.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ansulom, or Assulom or something like that, is Abraham's son in the Bible. Ansalom??

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kosh: it's Absalom.

------------------
Right, cheers, thanks a lot-Patsy Stone "Ab-Fab"

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Absalom is one of David's sons who ends up threatening the existence of David's kingship and the kingdom of Israel through sexual machinations. The story revolves around a brother and sister too, I think, and is the referential story in Faulkner's "Absalom, Absalom!"

As far as Anslem goes, I don't think it would be very "Catcher"-esque. Seems like Jake's psyche is a little more secure and positive than that. Based on the opening line I would guess that it is semi-autobiographical and probably very spiritual, connected with the prophets, etc. And a decent guess would be the main character embroiled in a much larger galactic battle (or war, perhaps?). For some reason I imagine it as being about the new emerging nature of the races of the galaxy after a long conflict, full of hope and pain, etc.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the semi-autobiographical thing is true, then someone explain to me how Jake came up with the story in "The Muse", which, of course, doesn't take place in the same timeline as "The Visitor".

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Jake is a prodigy like Wesley, perhaps?

------------------

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Muse did say that the words were there inside of him. Perhaps see let him see his own future, even if he didn't realize it. And he didn't finish it, maybe he had to wait until he had lived more. But what I really meant was that the main character would be more like Jake than Holden Caufield and that he would draw on his dad's existence as a religious figure to touch on themes of spirituality and consciousness.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps