Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Odo's rank (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Odo's rank
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple question. Did Odo have a rank? He wore a Bajoran Militia uniform making him apart of the Bajoran military so shouldn't he at least have a rank? As far as the encyclopedia goes, it says he became an unofficial arbitrator for the Bajoran nationals on the station. Also that Dukat made Odo chief of security for the station. A title which held after the occupation. So once it ended he was enlisted into the militia, but was never given a rank of any kind.

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but I was just thinking it over and wondered why he was only given a title.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited August 09, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard a rank mentioned for Odo. He would have to be equivalent to Commander or Lt Commander, I think, to be head of security.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited August 09, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to his uniform, he was probably an NCO, actually.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

monkeyboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
couldn't constable be considered a rank?

------------------
I did'nt do it.

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...no.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Constable was a name Kira gave Odo years ago, and it stuck, despite the fact that he didn't like it.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I believe "Constable" is a rank in the RCMP, but they probably just called him that for lack of any other title for him. He probably just wore the uniform to blend in. Not that he was actually wearing anything, of course, just looking like it.
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't Chief of security be considered a suitable rank for the er.... chief of security on the station?

He liked being called the chief of security and that was exactly what he was.

------------------
Do business with us, or we'll ruin you.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RCMP?

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?
Federation Starship Datalink

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Royal Canadian Mouted Police. Or La Gendarmerie royale, if you prefer.

No, they do not ride horses (except on special occasions), and yes, it's only in less densely populated areas (farther from cities and major towns) that they operate.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited August 11, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

The Bajorans seem to use the usual army-style ranks, so presumably Odo has an army-style rank.

------------------
The Molybdenum Home Page

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chief of Security is a bit cumbersome, and chief is already taken. People can obviously be be given positions without having a rank. A hologram is CMO on Voyager, and Nelix, Seven, and Kes were/are apparently considered senior officers.

Oh, and Elim: since you seem to know some French and a bit about the RCMP, could you tell me what their motto actually is? I know the English translation is "Maintain the Right", but I'd like to know what it is in the original French.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Uhh... Since it would be Canada-wide, the official, original version was most likely "Maintain the right" (right? ), but since I don't translate well (I just speak and write better), I suppose it would be something along the lines of "A garder la justice."

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Ah. I don't know why I thought it was in French, come the think of it. So Canada's national government uses English most of the time? I don't know nearly as much about Canada as I should, much like almost anyone else in the US.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Well, they're both national languages, but only two provinces have French as an offical language: New Brunswick and Qu�bec. Most governmental things would be in English first, then translated (unless it was in Qu�bec).

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps