Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Immunity to poison? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Immunity to poison?
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Vorta poison immunity... monuments to the stupidity of Founders.

-- General George S. Patton (Sort of)

I remember Weyoun saying sometime in the past that Vorta were immune to poisons. Would someone care to explain this to me? This makes absolutely no sense (and I suspect is another instance of writer oversight). The whole concept of poisons at a cellular level is their disruption of certain cell operations, such as perforating cell membranes, or replacing key atoms in molecules that rely on those elements' bonding characteristics. As advanced as biology is in Star Trek, it's like trying to find the next attack that bypasses Vortas' existing countermeasures (like elctronic warfare). How could you make Vorta so special biologically? Anyone care to venture some guesses?

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't plan to explain the science behind it, but It makes perfect sense, since Vorta are primarily used in a diplomatic function, and such a position would lend itself to a high probabilty of being poisoned, especially by a disgruntled subject of the Dominion.

------------------
"The story..." Londo says, "is not over yet. The story is never over."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose there are two ways of looking at it.

One, the Vorta are immune to as many different kinds of poisons as the Founders are aware of. Meaning that an enterprising biologist could probably cook up something that would take them out.

Or two, the Vorta have some sort of ability similar to the Bene Gesserit from Dune. That is, they can modify their own chemistry enough to neutralize poisons.

Of course, I'm a little unclear about your question, and you're probably bringing up some exceedingly basic point of biology that I am blissfully unaware of.

------------------
I do indeed and shall continue
Dispatch the shiftless man to points beyond
--
Soul Coughing

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sol, I like your first explanation. Perhaps what happens is that the Dominion keeps on catalog every poison it come into contact with and tries to modify every generation of Vorta to be immune to all the ones from the past plus these new ones. Makes the most sense to me.

Vorta 3.1, Vorta 95, Vorta 98, Vorta NT...

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with the immunity thing, what I want to know about the Vorta is, where the heck did their telekinetic abilities go???? Was Eris from "The Jem'Hadar" DS9 just a freak? They totally copped out on this issue (like so many others). Don't get me wrong, I like 'em better without, but that's no excuse...

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is postulated that Eris was specially created with that ability in order to help the Dominion's ruse along.

Generating some kind of bioelectric burst probably wouldn't be too hard to engineer, especially if it was just an existing organ from something else modified to fit in a Vorta. (Or, to take another route, it could have been some sort of cybernetic device.)

As to why more Vorta don't have such abilities, I think it's reasonable to say that the Founders simply don't want them to. The Vorta have strategy but little ability to fight. The Jem'Hadar have a great ability to fight but little strategy. Each is dependant on the other.

------------------
--
Soul Coughing

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
This Weyoun has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down?
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with the Founders permission, of coarse.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Point. She certainly could've been specially designed. The Founders certainly plan far enough ahead to have done this.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone realised that Eris was Played by Molly Hagan... the 'Angel' character in Herman's Head!?!

I did a double take after I saw her picture in the encyc... and I've seen 'The Jem'Hadar' heaps of times.

you would never had guessed! (I guess that means she is a good actress... not the same 'character' all the time.)

Andrew

------------------
"The story..." Londo says, "is not over yet. The story is never over."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

You remember castmembers from Herman's Head? You poor child.

------------------
--
Soul Coughing

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Weyoun meant that even if they could find a poison to get rid of him, it would be pointless, as he wouldn't really be that much dead. They might be able to counter that particular poison in the next cloning.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the episode where he mentioned his immunity to poisons, he didn't hesitate to drink something that was apparently poisoned. The drink didn't effect him, either.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I remember that. "Ties of Blood and Water"...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if he was immune of poison why wouldn't the person trying to kill him just put nanites in his drink instead?

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos and a d*mn lucky b*st*rd:-) )

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps