Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet's Forgotten Purpose

Author Topic: Starfleet's Forgotten Purpose
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice that Starfleet's original mission on DS9, that of bringing Bajor into the Federation, seems to have been lost during the last season.

The last time it was really mentioned was when Sisko started having those visions. This was around the same time the producers decided Sisko really was the Emissary.

I'm wondering if now that the war is over they'll be admitted.

Will we get a one liner in the next movie like:
"Captain's Log: The Enterprise remains docked at DS9 after my attending the final admittance ceremony welcoming Bajor into the Federation. All systems are functioning and we'll departing to start the movie in about an hour..."

What do you think? Is this an important enough issue for the creators to give us some more info on? Personally, I loved Kira in that Starfleet Uniform...

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, she did look pretty good in Starfleet wear.

------------------
Calvin: "I'm a man of few words."
Hobbes: "Maybe if you read more, you'd have a larger vocabulary."
Federation Starship Datalink - Now with a pop-up on every page...damn you Tripod!

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea for the movie I've been toying with has her in the uniform again. . . 8)
KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered who had command of DS9 now. Does Kira? If so, is the first officer Bajor or Starfleet? She should get command.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't this have spoiler warnings? Anyway, SPOILER.

As of the end of DS9, Kira was in command of the station. Starfleet ran the station for seven years at the request of the Bajoran government. Perhaps the Bajorans are now ready to take on a more active role, with Starfleet continuing to provide support.

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Kira taking command of the station for a time isn't without precedent. She did it before when Sisko left between seasons.

Personally, I think the next time we see something about DS9, we'll see anew Starfleet captain commanding the station (one which noone really likes). It'll also involve Sisko's return and Bajor's entrance into the Fed.

------------------

The First One
Member # 35

Nah. Why insist on another Federation officer? Kira can do the job.

The idea I have has Kira commanding DS9 which has become the centre for training and conversion of Bajoran militia into Starfleet. It's also 5 years later and she's a Captain, emphasizing when Sisko returns (from wherever it is he's been, he says vaguely, always mindful of spoilers) how everyone has moved on. And that's all you're getting for now! 8P

Oh, BTW: this purpose - it wouldn't be a special purpose by any chance? 8)

------------------
Remo Williams: "Chiun, you're amazing!"
Chiun: "No! I am BETTER than that!"

- Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous (1986)

Starfleet Weapons & Tactics

Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I also think Kira should get her own command.

With Miles O'Brian, Worf, and Odo left the station, I wonder who's the new chief of engineering, security and stuff.

And don't you think that it's time for Dr. Bashir to get promoted?

------------------
Logic is the beginning of wisdom

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it depends on how the agreement to operate the station has changed. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those positions have been taken over by their Bajoran counterparts.

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that Bashir's overdue for a promotion, but in his case he was lucky not to get cashiered out of Starfleet.
IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Didn't Bashir get a promotion a couple years ago? And yes, that genetic enhansement thing will probably bump him to the bottom of the list.

I think the idea of DS9 becoming a training center is great. But think of the tension of a Captain in command that is a pain in the a$$ making Bajor's admittance into the Fed a pain for Kira (cause she thinks she can do the job better too). I just think it would be a very Starfleet thing for Starfleet to do, insisting that another Fleet officer run the show.

------------------

The First One
Member # 35

Yes, He was a JG, now he's a full Lieutenant.
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Odo gone, Quark would already have retired by now on the profits he made within one fortnight of Odo's departure.

------------------
Devil: Oh look at the time! I'm late for services.
Stone: Services?
Devil: A group of young teenagers that have been celebrating the Black Sabbath are planning on deep-sixing their gym teacher tonight. I'm gonna go and give them a little encouragement.

Brimstone. May it rest in syndication.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gaseous: Is your status line a "Hudsucker Proxy" reference?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps