Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Sloan's rank insignia (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sloan's rank insignia
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does Director Sloan's (Section 31) rank insignia mean?
He had 4 full pips with a line under it.

------------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." (If you want peace, prepare for war)
- Vegetius
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it meant nothing at all. I believe Sloan was wearing it just to fool Sisko in thinking he was a Starfleet captain. And that pin is just one of the pins worn by a 4 star admiral. (Though Sisko should have noticed that!)

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sloan's insignia was not that of an admiral. It was as the original post described, the standard four pips with a bar.

Considering that Sloan was trying to convince Dr. Bashir that he was a member of Starfleet's Internal Affairs division, the bar is probably part of that department's standard uniform.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is interesting, though, that Internal Affairs would have such a special identifier when departments like Intelligence or Security wear standard insignia.Why is IA singled out that way? To raise fear among the infidels, or something?

And why wasn't Internal Affairs involved in the various trials of Starfleet personnel we have seen so far ("Measure of Man", "Drumhead", "Rules of Engagement"...)? Why did such an organization have to be made up? Why couldn't Sloan simply have been part of Starfleet Security or something?

Timo Saloniemi

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HELLO!?!

The whole shebang was
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
a holographic simulation set in what appeared to be an Intrepid holodeck set up to test Bashir's loyalty to the Federation. Sloan and Sisko never met.

------------------
Devil: Oh look at the time! I'm late for services.
Stone: Services?
Devil: A group of young teenagers that have been celebrating the Black Sabbath are planning on deep-sixing their gym teacher tonight. I'm gonna go and give them a little encouragement.

Brimstone. May it rest in syndication.

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited March 13, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, Slaon was introduces as some type of director of something... (sorry about being vague)

------------------
The Miranda Class model is not a kitbash, it is a bashkit.

(-=\V/=-)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can you fool a Starfleet officer by wearing a false rank?? They would first make, then put on an extra bar!!!

Yes, he was called "Director Sloan".
Maybe it's some kind of freelance Starfleet officer, or someone from another 'Navy', who's working in Starfleet
------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

[This message has been edited by Prakesh (edited March 13, 2000).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be a real rank, or else Bashir (being genetically engineered) would've noticed during the early parts of the simulation.

"Deputy Director Sloan of Starfleet Intelligence" was what they called him, IIRC.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't address the issue of the existance of an Internal Affairs division itself, but perhaps we're going about this from the wrong angle. The bar might represent his status as deputy director, rather than his department. A special enough position to put some extra signage on, perhaps?

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

ALSO...since this was the first time we hear about IA, and Sloan is pretending to investigate Bashir on suspicions of the good doctor working for the Dominion, perhaps the whole department was only recently created as a special subset of Intelligence; one that specializes in rooting out Dominion infiltrators. (I single out the Dominion because they were, after all, what everyone was afraid of at the time.) Created, perhaps, under the demand of an increasingly pressured Federation President? "For God's sake, at least look like you're doing something!"

------------------
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a very good explanation. It would also nicely explain why we won't be seeing those strange bars again in future episodes (IA was dismantled after the war as "unconstitutional", along with Ministry of Peace and the like)...

Timo Saloniemi

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Sloan's insignia looks like a four pip admiral bar. This could be the first evidence of the "Fleet Captain" rank first mentioned in the Original Series episode "The Menagerie, Part I" conserning Chris Pike. This was the rank he held after Kirk took command of the Enterprise. Since he was the only person to hold this rank, it could have been a rank used in Intelligence or another division.
IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Fleet Captain is pretty much the same thing as Commodore. In the U.S. Navy, it is a position, not a rank. A fleet captain is simply someone in charge of a group of ships. When Picard commanded the blockade in "Reunification", he was serving as a fleet captain. It could also be considered similar to the lowest ranking admiral rank.

Sloan's rank insignia was unlike anything we've seen before and seems to have indicated his post with SF Intelligence.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

kiltedbear
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for kiltedbear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Sloan was wearing a Starfleet uniform, it looked like to me he was wearing the four pips of a captain. When he was wearing his black outfit on the Holodeck he was testing Bashir with, I couldn't see anything that looked like rank insignia or identifying markings of any kind. Maybe I was mistaken.

------------------
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question refers to his SF uniform. He had four captain's pips, but there was also a thin bar underneath them (I think that's how it was...).

------------------
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra, and then, suddenly, it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
-Matt Groening

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps