Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Forgery

Author Topic: The Forgery
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering about "In the Pale Moonlight" and how Senator Vreenak figured out that the Optolythic Data Rod Sisko gave him was a fake.

Now, I would have trouble determining a fake from the real thing, so here are some possibilities on how it was discovered.

1) Vreenak was Bluffing. Senator Vreenak may not have had complete knowledge whether or not it was a fake. But Sisko did.

2) Damar: "I serve the Founders". This line makes me wonder if Damar is one who would say such a thing. Sure, he was simply a puppet for the Dominion, but such a person would have to be broken down quite harshly to even whisper that comment. Perhaps Vreenak knew Damar somewhere, and also knew that Damar would not say such a comment.

Any other possibilities?

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he evidently didn't figure out that the rod was a forgery until after he took it back to his ship and examined it. This leads me to believe that there was some technical defect in it, as in the manner in which it was programmed or encoded.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if Vreenak was bluffing, going to the ship to "examine" the rod would make the bluff all the more convincing.

Apparently, Vreenak was playing a game of his own here, and didn't contact anybody on Romulus about his affairs (otherwise the true story of his travels would have leaked out and Sisko's cover story for Garak's little assassination wouldn't have worked). So we can assume he didn't get any up-to-date info through subspace from Romulus, either. That means he couldn't have readily checked, say, the troop deployments suggested on the rod.

He could of course have already had information that contradicted the rod. Perhaps Weyoun was actually visiting Romulus, or even meeting Vreenak personally, during the alleged meeting with Damar!

Timo Saloniemi

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps