Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Orbs

Author Topic: The Orbs
Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to the orbs after Cardassia was destroyed?
At the beginning of DS9 it was said that there are 9 orbs.
Three have returned to Bajor:
1. Orb of Prophecy (remained at Bajor)
2. Orb of Wisdom (obtained by th Ferengi)
3. Orb of Time (returned by the Cardassians)

And what about the rest? Supposedly seized by the Cardassians and later destroyed by the Dominion? Could the Dominion used the to their advantage?
And what about the Orb of the Emissary? Does it count to the 9 other ones?

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the 3 Red Orbs of Jalbador From the DS9 Millenium series

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the Orb of the Emmisary doesn't count as part of the original nine. No one knew it existed until its discovery.

As for the six that we haven't heard a word about, well, since Dukat was able to find a single, obscure Bajoran artifact when he wanted it, it should stand to reason that the orbs are also stored somewhere, probably by whatever's left of the OO. Now that the war's over, Bajor may get them back. 'Course, you'd think that they'd have demanded them back as part of the original peace treaty with Cardassia, but apparently not... And there's also some question as to whether an orb can be destroyed in the first place...

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, i fotgot the Orb of Contemplation! (DS9 Tears of the Prophets)

And yes, the millenium series rocks! )

------------------

RogueFleet

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would not surprise me to learn that most of the orbs in Cardassian possession are now on the other side of the wormhole.

This is assuming that the Prophets would let them through, of course.

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"After Cardassia was destroyed..." ????

When was Cardassia destroyed? Ravaged, okay. A few cities burn down, its not destroyed. It can be rebuilt!!!!!

------------------
This guy drinks poison, lights himself on fire, ties a noose around his neck, jumps off a cliff and shoots a gun at himself. Bullet misses him, hits rope, he falls into water, extinguishing the fire and vomiting the poison. He's saved by a fisherman and rushed to a hospital ... where he dies of pneumonia ...

Nemesis
Member # 255

Well, not completly destroyed (don't take it so literal!).
Almost 800 million dead, now thats a suffering!

But i like Sol's idea!

------------------

RogueFleet

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to watch the finale again soon, but I got the impression that the damage to Cardassia's infrastructure was nearly total. It seems quite reasonable to say that Cardassia as a political entity is dead.

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was without a doubt their greatest defeat ever, which makes one wish Starfleet had put juust a little more effort into it in the first cardassian war.
Well, maybe then they'd been even more motivated to "ride with the devil". Who knows?
Does anyone know the real reason Starfleet backed down in the cardie-war? We weren't losing, were we?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Difficult to say. In any case, Cardassians looked truly puny when introduced in "The Wounded". If a single rogue Nebula could toast two of their big warships while her shields were down, and a border patrol Galor was unable to even dent the E-D with those early pinko phasers, it seems unlikely the Cardassians could have put up much of a resistance. In later TNG episodes, Cardassian ships always have to appear in pairs or bigger formations to have a chance against a single ship, and even then Picard usually deliberately lets them win in a clever ploy to reveal their secret plans.

It may be that while the Cardassians obviously lacked offensive strength in all their appearances, they were good at defending their planets. We saw the might of their new orbital fortresses in "Tears of the Prophets" - perhaps their wartime technology was almost as good, resulting in unacceptable Federation casualties if Starfleet tried to take planets already held and fortified by Cardassians.

In any case, we heard little of the Cardassians in early TNG. This, along with O'Brien always speaking of "border wars", gives the impression of a distant low-priority war. And the Feds strike me as similar to modern Americans, unwilling to sacrifice lives to win a war for good if limited objectives can be met without getting any troops killed, and if there never was a fear of the enemy hitting the mainland / homeworld anyway.

What good does a "real" victory do, anyway? The Feds couldn't leave a defeated planet wallow in death and misery anyway, but would feel obliged to give humanitarian aid. Not defeating the enemy completely gives an excuse to leave them to fend for themselves, thereby saving on the aid. I doubt the Feds would drive for total victory and unconditional surrender merely out of vengeance - they are supposed to be beyond petty qualms like that.

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats how I was looking at it.

Cardassia is a wreck (much like Germany after WWII), but there is enough left that Federation humanitarian aid will be able to rebuild the planet, set up some sort of provisional government, and get the Cardassians back on their feet. I'd image the Federation is going to insist that the Cardassian fleet be turned over to the Federation Alliance (and we could see that there was a large number of Cardassian ships in operation) until Cardassia is "trusted" enough to get them back (probably many MANY years down the line)

------------------
You wouldn't understand ... it's a Jeep thing

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it were the Feds alone, I'm not sure they would even insist on the Cardassians giving up their ships. But the Klingons and Romulans are guaranteed to insist on complete dearming of Cardassia for the time being.

But never mind the ships - what will happen to the planets that were still held by Cardassians at the end of the war? Or those taken from them by force earlier on, like Chin'toka? These are probably partially Cardassian-colonized planets, partially conquered worlds from earlier stages of Cardassian history. Will the Fed-Romulan-Klingon axis give them back to their original owners? Or to Cardassians? Or will Chin'toka be kept by the axis as war loot?

From "Chain of Command", I got the impression that constant military expansion was the only way Cardassia could fight poverty even when things were going relatively well. When the Cardassian Union was reduced to a dozen planets after the Klingon invasion (which did NOT include bombarding the homeworld, as far as we know!), they needed Federation industrial replicators to stay in business ("For the Cause"). It is probable that after the recent war, the Union was again reduced to a dozen worlds or even less - is it still viable, or will it slowly starve without constant outside help even after the ruins of Cardassia Prime have been cleared and the planet rebuilt?

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Enter my fan fiction, which I really should get back to. It's actually more about the trial of the female changeling than it is Cardassia, but one of the problems the tribunal has is finding someone to represent the Cardassian government, because there isn't one.

------------------
--
Ambrose Bierce

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Representative or government?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ooooh, the trial of the female changeling? Tell more, tell more ...

My own fan fiction also takes place after the Dominion War ... in an effort to ease tensions, Odo (now in charge "over there"), has opened the Gamma Quadrant to a certain amount of ships from the Federation, Klingons and Romulans.

Enter the Pelileu-Class USS 'Tokyo' ... heavily damaged in the Battle For Cardassia, she is rushed back into service, and quickly deployed.

Her Captain is Connor Macy, a veteran officer whose wife and daughter died in the Breen attack on San Francisco, whose youngest son wants nothing to do with him, and whose eldest son enlisted in Starfleet and died a POW ... or did he? (and that's the main focus of Macy being over in the Gamma Quad ... there's the possibility his eldest son is still alive, and STILL being held as an illegal POW ... sort of like over in Vietnam)

Melanie Kline, Lt. Commander, is the executive officer. When the war began, she was an ensign. Her rise in rank isn't due as much to her being a good officer as to a lot of vacancies in the ranks ABOVE her.

Lt. Johann Bach, second officer, sat out the war, to his dismay. His ship was assigned peacekeeping operations on the OTHER side of the Federation, so he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Lt. Gosvar, Andorian chief of security, could care less about any of that ... he just wants to get promoted as fast as possible ... and also find a way to kill the Cardassian officer aboard ...

Glinn Anvek was a member of the "Free Cardassians" who left Cardassia when Dukat took power with the Dominion. Anvek is afraid to return to Cardassia for fear of reprisels which may be carried out against him. During the war, he and Gosvar served together ... and Gosvar feels Anvek is responsible for the death of a security team.

Ack! I'm getting carried away here. I'll be quiet now.

------------------
You wouldn't understand ... it's a Jeep thing

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps