Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Breen and Ferengi (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Breen and Ferengi
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried this a while back, but I'm going to try it again. I'm going to try to add Ferengi and Breen space to my parametric equations. What I need is everyone's ideas as to how big these two powers are in comparison to the other major powers of the Alpha Quadrant. I'm specifically looking for answers like "The Federation is X times the size of Breen space" or "The pre-war Cardassian Union was X times the size of Ferengi space" or something like that.

On a similar note, was the government of the Breen ever given a proper name? The Klingons have the Klingon Empire, the Romulans have the Romulan Star Empire, etc. For some reason, I'm thinking the Breen have the Breen Confederacy, but without my Encyclopedia, I don't know.

------------------
"The only good thing about this film is the edible chocolate roaches they gave out. Mmm, mmm... Wait a minute, edible roaches don't crawl. Edible roaches don't crawl!"

- Jay Sherman, The Critic.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Breen Confederacy" sounds correct to me as well.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ferengi have the Ferengi Alliance.

------------------
"We survived."
"Yeah, it was some battle."
"I meant high school."

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ferengi should be a relatively small volume of space, say 1/8 to 1/4 of the 250 LtYr. Federation, this is for the Alliance core worlds. It covers most of the volume of space if you count their trade dealing volume, say to 1 to 2,000 LtYrs.
It takes a while to buy a world, or to build up the money to buy it anyway.

The Cardassian would be 3/8 to 5/8 of that same Federation.
It takes a lot of forces to quell rebellions, and, to just hold a planet against its will.

I'd also hazzard to guess that the Klingon and Romulan space is about the same as Cardassian. The Romulans for the same reason, the Klingons because of their enjoyment of infighting.

The Breen I'd take a stab at being a little larger than the Ferengi, but since I know nothing about them, I'll not say it.....

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree with that as well.

Quatre.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Federation>Rom/Kling/Card>Breen/Tholians>Ferengi... yep.

The Ferengi are beyond the Cardassians seeing as the Feds knew the Cardassians (Cardassian wars); but didn't know the Ferengi - but the Ferengi knew the Cardassians... i.e. Quark being on Terok Nor.

The Ferengi - I think might control the Hypurian homeworld - (of Maihar'du and beetle snuff fame)

I would say that Breen space is beyond the Cardassian frontier, and that the Breen and Ferengi are close to each other - i.e. the Breen buying moons etc and selling the Ferengi warp drive... that would be well before the battle of maxia.

Could the Breen have been some of the masked members sitting in the 'council' in "Star Trek: IV" - this doesn't mean that they are Fed members in that council seeing as Klingons and Romulans were also present...

Plus Breen fashion - like Fed and Romulan - (and not so much Klingon) would have probably changed over the years... there were some shrouded masked members sitting there. (they too made beep noises like the Breen... and of course that noise would change over the period of 100 years - upgrades in technology etc. You could also summise that the cloaked "possible breen" in the council scenes could have been wearing "traditional dress" and the tight fitting clothes we've seen them in DS9 in, could be 'uniforms'.
----=============>
------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited December 10, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pretty large and unfounded jump, don't you think? I mean, we might as well claim that any alien whose face we never saw was a Breen.

------------------
"I finally see that what we thought was a fun way to celebrate our love was really an expression of hostility and disrespect toward Jesus."
--
Bill Metz, in The Onion
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Breen were discovered by the Federation until later ... they're near Ferengi space, right? The Cardies and Ferengi weren't encountered in TOS's time, why assume the Breen were?

Yes, I know the Klingons knew about the Breen, but their space goes farther out then the UFP did at that time ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if the Klingons knew about the Breen before the Feds did. Worf mentions about hostilities back during "The Second Empire", but we have no idea when such an empire existed. The Romulans also have sayings about the Breen, suggesting some sort of familiarity.

The Ferengi may hold a really small area of space (and judging by the DS9 maps, they probably do, since their homeworld is so close to Cardassia and Bajor, so their empire would have to be a very lopsided one if it was big). But they INFLUENCE a vast area of space through trade and piracy. They claimed their reputation was soured in the entire quadrant in "The Nagus", and they practiced piracy far away at Gamma Tauri in "The Last Outpost" (Taurus is a constellation far towards the galactic rim, not at all in the direction where Ferenginar is placed in conventional maps).

Breen Confederacy sounds good, and Ferengi Alliance is a given. What about the following? Do you know the sources, and are some of these even canonical?

-Gorn Hegemony
-Tholian Assembly (as the name for their empire)
-Yridian League of Trade
-Talarian ????
-Miradorn ????

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tholian Assembly is right out of "The Tholian Web" I think, so that holds up. I think I've seen Hegemony and Gorn combined a few times, most recently in Interplay's Starfleet Command games. Considering their source material, perhaps it comes from the old Battles game?

------------------
"I finally see that what we thought was a fun way to celebrate our love was really an expression of hostility and disrespect toward Jesus."
--
Bill Metz, in The Onion
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the name "Gorn Hegemony" was also used in the Peter David novel Vendetta. It was in some novel I read, anyway.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my Breen in Star Trek IV theory - is just that a theory...

Anyway - the Gorn Hegemony, is a title, I use in my maps... I must have heard it along the way somewhere - maybe someone saw my map and used the name...

Yridian League of Trading?? I know that the prefix for the Yridian ship in "Birthright" was YLT - I just assumed that that stood for Yridian Light Transport...

Odo mentioned that the "Miradorn" weren't going to become involved in hostilities with the Dominion - but he did also just say "The Tholians" too.

There is also the Sheliak Corporate...

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Tholians, Miradorn and some other race signed non-agression pacts with the Dominion. It's in the Ency III somewhere

------------------
"There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to killing."
-Gaseous Anomaly, December 11, 2000
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be the little-known, seldom-mentioned Romulans .

------------------
Go Mad.
Go Evil.
Just GO.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And those were also mentioned in the episode where Sisko discovered that the Romulans signed the non-agression pact.

------------------
"We survived."
"Yeah, it was some battle."
"I meant high school."

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps