Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Invasion of Betazed

Author Topic: The Invasion of Betazed
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING wild speculation thread! (we have this DS9 forum, seems we should post SOMETHING on it)

OK - so I know we don't have any real info on the Dominion's invasion of Betazed. However, does it strike anyone else as a bad idea, that maybe they should have picked a different planet? (Leaving aside the wisdom of trying to occupy any planet in such a war).

How exactly do you conduct a holding operation on a planet were the resistance (and from the types of people we saw on Betazed I'd think there would be one) can read the occupation forces intentions? Obviously you can use violence and terror tactics, but from historical experience that doesn't work - at least not quickly. Imagine cells of resistance fighters, who don't need tracable com signals, know when the guards are looking the other way (and perhaps can use "offensive" telepathy). If the Bajoran resistance managed to baffle the technology of the Cardies then such a movement is feasible from a tech standpoint(?).

Is there any reasons mentioned that telepathy won't work with Vorta and/or Jem H's? I'm willing to leave aside the idea that a Founder shouldn't be able to fool a telepath, at least not one who knows the person "replaced".

Just trying to start something different - on the other hand there is always page 12 of the 359 thread if you prefer

------------------
TK

[This message has been edited by Toadkiller (edited March 09, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the Dominion has telepaths of its own? Or telepathic inhabitors to inhibit the Betazed population. Perhaps the Jem'Hadar, like the Ferengi, can't be mind-scanned.

Still, imagine if Tam Elbrun was still around -- I'm sure he could fry quite a few Vorta and Jem'Hadar minds without a second thought.

Frankly, if Lwaxanna Troi was on Betazed, I could easily imagine the Dominion forces retreating in terror. "Take the planet, Federation! Take our ships! Just keep that woman away from us! Ahhhhhhhh!"

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited March 09, 2001).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I read in a interview somewhere that TPTB wanted to have a crushing blow to the Federation by having one of its main member worlds invaded by the Dominion, only they couldn't decide which one it would be. They didn't want to choose a planet that was TOO important, but they also didn't want to choose a planet that the audience only had a passing familiarity with. Hence, Betazed seemed to be the perfect choice.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the Romulans "liberate" Betazed?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Benzar, I think. The people who needed the special breathers when they first showed up. (And I'm a little fuzzy as to whether they're UFP members or not. There are a couple in Starfleet proper, but you don't need to be a UFP citizen for that, and that officer exchange program suggests an independant world, or at least a world that's still in the application for membership stage.)

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that was ages ago - they're probably members by now, seeing as they were actually actively involved with the fighting.

Hmm...

BUT what if Benzar was just another world that was strategically important to the Dominion, and wasn't a Fed member? They just occupied it to facilitate supply routes, command lines, faster web access, etc.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited March 09, 2001).]

SIR SIG
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
By the time of the Dominion war, Benzar had been around for 10yrs there abouts, most likely in membership.

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

IP: Logged
dih1138
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the first Vorta we saw exhibit telekinetic ability? Why not also telepathy?

------------------
-dih1138

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not telekinesis. I'd say pyrokinesis. Controlling chemical or psionic energy may be different from actually reaching out to someone in telepathy...

------------------
You can't kill me, I'm charming!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's supposed to be a (non-canon) Star Trek book coming out called "The Battle of Betazed" which will deal somewhat with events during the occupation and retaking of the planet. Unfortunately, it looks as though it won't be out until at least 4/2002.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I once (about 2 years ago) had this really cool idea where Federation or rogue scientists spliced the DNA of a Betazed and a Vulcan together, creating a really powerful telepath that had combatitive telekenisis as well!

I'd thought up a really deadly fight scene: a Cardassian bounty hounter tracks him (and another escapee from the (proverbial) research centre) to DS9, where a great big fight in Quark's Bar ensues. Odo intervenes, and barely manages to take down the ST version of Nate Grey with the bounty hunters help.

Just recalling those hazy lazy summer days...

[EDIT: for those interested, the "other escapee" was a cross between a Gargoyle and The Scorpion (from Spiderman]

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited March 10, 2001).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always had hoped that "the invasion of betazed" could have been a nice vehicle to bring back Lwaxana one more time on DS9. I would have like to have seen some damaged Federation ship limp up to the station, and then from behind a smoke filled airlock... burnt and sooty, and bruised a defiant Lwaxana and child emerge and ask for Odo's help in helping free Betazed... from his people.

Lwaxana would have turned basically into a resistance leader... but she would still be the Lwaxana we all know... and love?

------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps