Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » AICN reviews Nemesis (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: AICN reviews Nemesis
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't trust anyone who likes Enterprise more than TNG and TOS.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely that depends on how you measure it? Considering the accelerated pace of pop culture these days, not liking TOS (as entertainment) is like not liking, well, Oedipus Rex (as entertainment). Both are rooted in cultures that are dead, dead, dead. You can hardly fault someone for not being able to get into a form of entertainment so alien. And I don't think I'm exaggerating the death of the 60's.

Secondly, how are we comparing Enterprise to TNG? Certainly, Enterprise has not yet come close to the highs TNG achieved. It's also 1/7th as old. But Enterprise's first season is mile, MILES, ahead of TNG's. Of course, so was Voyager's. And, I think, DS9, though it stumbled a bit more than either of its predecessors. And, of course, TOS was gold right from the start.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i stand by my statement: i don't trust anyone who likes Enterprise more than TNG and TOS.
IP: Logged
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I trust that the reviewer genuinely liked what he saw (if he even saw anything). However, since the reviewer is obviously a "fanboy," what he genuinely liked might strike a number of other fans as a steaming pile of silly, stinky celluloid. Like any fanboy, his main concerns seemed to be with the level of action, and quality of special effects, with no mention of the plot that has, in any online script, so many holes Picard could recklessly drive a jeep into it. It could be that my perceived plot problems have been resolved, but, again, since he did not mention it the reviewer probably did not feel the plot had any problems to begin with. And that, along with his mistaking the relatively high production values of "Star Trek: Generations," "Star Trek: First Contact," and "Star Trek: Nemesis," for those of a cheap made-for-television movie indicate to me that the reviewer's opinion is not worth the paper it is not printed on.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. I just read the script, and I'm not very impressed. Of course, acting and SFX can and sometimes do make up for a weak script, but...

Hmmm. The best bet is to watch as much TNG as you possibly can before seeing this, so that you'll be totally Trekked-out while watching it.

And hope against hope that some of what's in the script doesn't make it to the screen uncorrected.

I'll go see it, alright. But I'd keep my expectations down, if I were you.

[ June 25, 2002, 07:08: Message edited by: Thoughtchopper ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its not printed on paper. the phrase appropo for this millenium is 'its not worth the server space it's saved on' or 'it's not worth the bandwidth i used to read it'

and he is kinda, like, an idiot.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the reviewer's opinion is not worth the paper it is not printed on."

Emphasis added.

[ June 25, 2002, 13:48: Message edited by: TSN ]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind if its a weak script, SFX will not save the day. Look at Episode 1 for Star Wars. Sure it made alot of money, but it also lost alot of fans as well.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly doubt that most of the fans immediately threw up their arms & gave up all love of Star Wars just because Episode I was a letdown.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignore this post. Now.

[ June 25, 2002, 14:03: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well not the hardcore fans. Just like Trekkies where we had a few Trek films that sucked, we still was at it. But the so-so fans who either just liked it, or just happened to go see it for the heck of it, well would not want to go back to the second one.

I heard that alot at school prior to Episode 2 coming out.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably because Billy and Kyle were throwing a big Football party on opening weekend.

Lucas' pockets were woefully hit with the loss of that demographic.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been to a football party (though I've witnessed some of the surprisingly dull aftermath), and I haven't seen Episode II, despite Liam's constant prompting and appeals to my legacy. Who will take me seriously if I haven't seen it? No one, that's who. And yet, every day, after a hard day doing the things I do, I'm usually more interested in showering and napping than going to see Star Wars. Today I tossed a milkshake into the mix, and it was good. But still no Star Wars. I may break the streak tomorrow. Maybe.

What were we talking about? Oh, the movie thing. Uh, I haven't read the Nemesis script or the review of said, not wanting my entire entertainmentical future to be plotted out for me. But I really doubt it will be as bad as some bad movies are. Uh, yeah.

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capped In Mic:
its not printed on paper.

As I indicated.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps