Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Casting options (Nemesis Spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Casting options (Nemesis Spoilers)
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've finally read preliminary synopses of Nemesis and there are two things that I have to ask:

1) Was Marcus Nash notified of the role of Shinzon? Nash played young Picard in "Tapestry".
2) Why Leah Brahms? Why not Aquiel Uhnari? I liked the latter rather than the former.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is not the person who plays Uhnari doing full time soap opera and would not be available now (or then, a few months ago)?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, has this Nash guy done anything tsince to justify such a major role? I mean, for instance, Shelby was a big role at the time, but now whenever I see Elizabeth Dennehy in a film these days she's increasingly further down the cast list. They're not going to cast some nobody in a major film role just because he had a one-ep guest slot on a TV show about 10 years ago.

As for Uhnari vs Brahms, they covered that in the TNG Compendium when discussing who Geordi's future-wife (in "AGT. . .") would be; Uhnari lost because TPTB hated the ep and didn't like the actress and couldn't even bear to mention it and her in passing.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why Leah Brahms
Did I miss something ... ?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly, Geordi is going to bring Leah Brahms to the Riker/Troi wedding reception in the movie. What Mr. Brahms thinks about that is anyone's guess.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lt. Uhnari was played by actress Rene Jones who currently plays Dr. Lexie Carver on Days of Our Lives. So her shooting schedule is flexible considering she did take off to film that TNG episode. As one soap opera actress said (Kelly Ripa), "they'll work around your schedule."

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick refresher. I remember Leah Brahms, but who was Lt. Uhnari?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She worked on a communications relay on the Klingon border and was kidnapped by the local Klingon patrol cruiser after her fellow officer on the station got "eaten" by a shapeshifting creature of some sort.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Leah actually there? I know IMDb's reporting it, but I've kicked it's ass over things like that in the past. Fanboy vermin think they're so bright when they submit unsubstantiated scuttlebut.

Mr. Nash doesn't appear to have had an onscreen acting career outside of his five seconds of fame in Tapestry, but I assume if he had an agent he'd have heard about it. These things are hardly hush-hush.

Michael "I bang Lexa Doig" Shanks read for the role of Shinzon, and Jude Law's name was kicked about, too. But apparently everyone in the know is gushing about this Tom Hardy guy's abilities, so I'd think that anyone who thinks bringing back obscure actors without speaking lines for the sake of continuity probably has their head screwed on improperly.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of obscure, does not Tom Hardy's acting career amount to little more than a few minutes in "Black Hawk Down," and a few plays (not that I prefer what's-his-name from "Tapestry," but Tom Hardy is hardly A-list)?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He also did "Band of Brothers," IIRC.

Anyway, before A-list actors are A-list actors, what are they? All indications seem to be that whatever that category is, Tom Hardy belongs to it.

Besides, he's English. Young English actors tend not to run off to LA and land a role in a shampoo commercial in an effort to "break into" Hollywood. They go off to theatre school and perform really old stuff with big words in it in front of real live people, and then use their alleged competence to enter the Hollywood mainstream a little further up the food chain.

[ June 29, 2002, 23:45: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You know, it surprised me how many British and Australian actors were in Black Hawk Down. I can picture Tom Hardy now -- if you watch BHD, he's one of the two guys who gets left behind by the convoy.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing impresses me more than an English actor doing a Southern US accent.

It's just, they do it SO well.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if "Leah Brahms" is in the movie, I doubt she'll be played by the same actor who played her in TNG. After all, the producers didn't go out of their way to bring back the same actors who played Picard's brother & nephew for Generations, did they?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The producers do know Susan Gibney and feel she's a talented actress. She did come close to being cast as Janeway as I recall. And she was cast as Erika Benteen.

And I don't recall Robert Picard making any appearance at all in "Generations"

[ June 30, 2002, 21:02: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps