Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Jack Crusher's Death

Author Topic: Jack Crusher's Death
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone aware of any background info that was written but never seen concerning the circumstances of Crusher's death?

I ask because while updating my shiplist, I noticed that Crusher died the very same year that the Stargazer was at Chalna. "So what?" I hear you ask, "The Stargazer visited lots of planets that year".
Very true, but I was just cross referencing this info in the Encyclopedia and I remembered the bit in the episode ("Allegence"[TNG]) when Esoqq said to Picard "you know my planet?" and he responded "Oh yes".
It's probably nothing but I'd be curious to know if some there was an intentional implication in this line, perhaps a further explanation was originally scripted.
If it was any other planet (except perhaps Nausica) I wouldn't give it a second thought, but given the apparent nature of the Chalnoth race it seams likely that quite a few offworlders left the planet feet first.

[ July 09, 2002, 17:20: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Edipissed Wrecks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there might be something in that. i wish that they would have told us some of the backstories in Trek. a lot of them seem like they would be very interesting.
IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is word that Jack Crusher died while trying to save a fellow crewman after a ship explosion aboard the Stargazer.

The reason they say this is because the so called Fear exam that Wesley Crusher took in "Coming of Age" was based on his worst fear. One suggests that the circumstances of this Fear test is very similar to Jack Crusher's death.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.. and that is the scenario used by Friedman in 'Reunion'.. the problem is, that in 'The Bonding' and perhaps a few other first and second season stories, Wesley states that his father died 'on an away mission'. my exact memory of dialogue is unclear, but i think the implication was that Crusher beamed down with an away team (im kind of remembering a line where Wes says Picard 'beamed back' alive and his father didnt) .. we would need to run those lines to make sure we are interpreting what he said correctly, but i think a planetside mission was implied, not the hull repair 'away mission' that Friedman suggests. plus it was the lamest part of that book cuz it didnt make much sense.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking that Jack Crusher is a really manly name.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that in the episode where Marla Aster died, Wesley said that Picard "came back" and his father didn't. Still... "came back" implies that they were on an away mission. This could still be reconciled with the explosion theory. Perhaps they beamed over to a space station, or even down to a planet and there was an explosion somewhere.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Still... "came back" implies that they were on an away mission
No it doesn't. You assume "come back" means that they came back to the Stargazer. But if Wes was a little boy, it's more likely that "come back" means that Picard "came back" to Earth, while Jack didn't.

Not alive, anyway.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tahna Los:
There is word that Jack Crusher died while trying to save a fellow crewman after a ship explosion aboard the Stargazer.

The reason they say this is because the so called Fear exam that Wesley Crusher took in "Coming of Age" was based on his worst fear. One suggests that the circumstances of this Fear test is very similar to Jack Crusher's death.

If I recall correctly, Wesley's test had more to do with making the decision to leave a wounded man behind in order to save someone in greater need. Which is a decision that Picard may have made that resulted in Jack's death.

Another question, was Crusher Picard's First Officer on the Stargazer? This is something else that seams to have been implied but never established, it seams possible given that he was a Lieutenant Commander and if memory serves he was wearing command colours in the holographic message, which was made 4 years prior to his death.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah... that's a bit of dialoge I forgot. In "Coming of Age" Wesley says that "someone made that decision and my father didn't come home" or something like that.

That would seem to imply that Picard made a choice that sacrificed Crusher's life for someone else, or the ship, or something. Wesley was afraid that he couldn't make that same choice.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a little non-canon slant on things:

In the 'Stargazer' series of novels, Picard's first officer is Commander Gliaad Ben Zoma. This early in the Stargazer's adventures, Crusher isn't even on the ship.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And i read somewhere recently that Friedman wasn't going to write in Crusher until much later.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps