Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS - Season 4 and 5 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS - Season 4 and 5
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also the issue of respect, y'know. When they did that Futurama episode of Star Trek, Bones stayed silent throughout, rather than having someone doing an impression of his voice.

I also don't think you could write TOS now. The style of dialogue, nature of the stories, and whatnot are far too primitive for TV today.

There's also the fact that the original cast would demand roughly 7 billion dollars an episode too.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, they're all way past retirement age.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were way past retirement age in 1988.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly my point.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Brilliant.

Er, and your point is?

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree that you couldn't write TOS appropriate stories today. The best of the episodes are not outdated. Oh sure, there are some cultural references and stylistic things you wouldn't want to replicate, but there's nothing inherantly out of date about stories like "The Doomsday Machine" or "Balance of Terror" or even "The Trouble With Tribbles".

And no one would suggest making a modern "Spock's Brain"...

Oh wait, they did: "Shades of Gray" [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. I'd really like to see "Spock's Brain" redone. Fuck it, why not? It's would be deadly, with the CGI parts completely not fitting in...I would be laughing so hard it would be WORTH it.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I see the "Shades of Gray"/"Spock's Brain" parallel. One is a clipshow, and thus very boring. One is intensely silly. But it isn't "Shades of Gray"'s fault that it is boring. That is almost inherint in the medium.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, after watching "Wolf in the Fold" the other day, I've come to the conclusion that it is at least as silly as "Spock's Brain"...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"And the Children Shall Lead" has what can only be described as "crazy shit" in it.

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

Hasn't most of TOS, from our modern 21st century perspective? [Smile]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes, but did you see the wellies all those kids were wearing? Crazy shit, I tells ya.

--------------------

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what the hell is a wellie?
IP: Logged
Cartman
Member # 256

Stylish. And comfy.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps