Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Starships & Technology.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Questions from a new guy

Author Topic: Questions from a new guy
Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone! I'm the "new kid on the block" so to speak, and I'd like to ask a few burning questions if you have the time.

Why is the bridge on most ships in such an exposed location? It's right on the top of the saucer section, making it more vulnerable to attack!

I've noticed a strange circle with a cross in the center on many consoles...I first noticed it on the transporter console, but then I saw it at tactical, ops, navigation (or helm, whatever it's called). I was wondering...does anyone know what that control does?

Also, why when ships get fired on do the consoles blow up so easily? Wouldn't they be more protected than that? They should have some way of rerouting the energy and directing it back to the target...

I think that's all for now...thanks again for your time!

Sorak
First Year Cadet

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions:

1. It's no different than the bridges on naval vessels. Plus, just because the bridge is in an exposed position doesn't mean that it's the smartest place for an attacker to hit. I would go for the ship's engines, which are equally vulnerable, before the bridge. Plus, adequate shielding should be efficient enough to ward off attackers anyway.

2. I have no idea what you're talking about.

3. Because if consoles didn't blow up, the FX guys would have nothing to do.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3a) Because circuit breakers have gone out of fashion (as many a fried redshirt can attest to).
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bridge is in the center of the top of the saucer because Gene Roddenberry wanted it there. I believe he wanted it to indicate that the ships were exploring, not looking for a fight, so to the command crew weren't cowering down inside the bowels of the ship.

The only time I recall seeing that round set of buttons used was on the helm console to control the thrusters.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The position of the bridge was later rationalized with the invention of the bridge module. The bridge is replaceable, to allow for relatively easy upgrades of main control systems.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well, the "cross" buttons are used for a variety of purposes, from thrusters, to torpedoes, etc.

This thread should actually be in Starships. There it goes.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps