Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Nemesis Australian Release Date (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nemesis Australian Release Date
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, well, well this SUCKS. For all of us 4? Australians on here... I asked at my local cinema Birch, Carrol and Coyle - Chermside and they said that Nemesis was due for release on the (not the 1st as was mentioned at Trek Today I think) but the 16th of January!! BASTARDS!! Why does it have to be release more than a MONTH after the US!?! For fuck's sake - it's not as if they have to convert anything or dub/translate/subtitle anything!! Bloody distributing morons.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sux if it's true. I was thinking the release date would be Thursday 2nd of January.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it's not true... but the guy had the sheet right there. Try a cinema near you Dax, maybe they just majorly fucked up at my nearest cinema!?!

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not gonna get too hung up on the release date until it gets closer. The worst thing is that everyone here will be talking about it while we're still waiting. At least we shouldn't get it later than January.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's the 3rd of January in the UK. Assuming they can possibly spare a cinema from showing Harry Potter 2 (out mid-November, it's even stopped the Premiere of the next Bond film from being at the Odeon Leicester Square, its traditional venue), they can't promise anything.

For the most part, people here are usually quite good about spoilers. You can be certain there'll be at least one adolescent American twat who'll post something along the lines of "now that the E-E has been destroyed, what class does everyone think the next Etnerprsie (sic) will be?"

(NOTE: That's a made-up spoiler. I hope!)

When told off about this, the pre-pubescent punk usually hotly replies with a long tirade about how he should be able to discuss what he likes, becase the film's been out for two days so surely 'everyone' has seen it by now. When reminded that in fact not 'everyone' here comes from the good ol' US of A, he then tells all us foreigners we shouldn't come to websites like these.

He then storms off in a huff as only a spoilt brat teenager can, and is never heard from again. Good riddance. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

What I can't work out is WHY does Nemesis have to come out more than a month after the US. Even with the UK Release it's not much better.

It's not as if they have to translate anything - and it's not as if they have to size up whether people will go to the movie or not. Insurrection was the largest opening Trek movie in Australia when it was Released (which is a suprise - It thought First Contact or even Generations might have been - since the Series was still on TV then (well in 1995)

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope I am the messenger bearing good news:

Over on IMDB they give the following release dates:

Australia: 1 January 2003
Germany: 2 January 2003
UK: 3 January 2003

I'm not sure why it starts a day earlier in Germany than in the UK, but I guess it's a special situation with Pottermania over there as opposed to the rest of the world.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of the time it just comes down to scheduling and screen availability. As I've already mentioned, the Bond film can't be shown on it's usual screen because the Harry Potter film is starting on it a week before and no way are they going to pull it from the biggest screen in London after only a week.

. . . Then again, the current release schedule for December UK releases is:

1st
Ante, The
6th
Riders
Dancer Upstairs, The
Lundi matin
12th
Freak Out
13th
Full Frontal
Like Mike
18th
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The
20th
Country Bears, The
Sweet Home Alabama
Hey Arnold! The Movie
26th
Chicago
27th
Pinocchio
Transporter, The
Werckmeister harm�ni�k
31st
Sixteen Years of Alcohol

Whee. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've never heard of big name movies preempting other big name movies before. Harry Potter Preempting James Bond? crazy.
IP: Logged
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Bad news, fellow Australians. I checked the Coming Soon section of the Hoyts website and it confirms Nemesis as 16th of January. [Frown]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
It's not as if they have to translate anything

I read the news that the german version of Nemesis will be translated in November (lucky bastards, the only people on earth besides the producers who get to see the movie a month before it airs), so it would be ready for a simultaneous release on December 13. Only god knows why they have to push it back.

On the other hand, I'm quite sure my local cinema will do a special preview of the german version the day it opens in the US. And guess who's trying to get some tickets for his clan... [Wink]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, now this is really hard to guess... [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point is that there is only a finite number of screens.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
holly shit that sucks... i wonder why they delay it like that
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

It's just another case of the Australian consumer getting shafted.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps