Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » CIC RIP?

Author Topic: CIC RIP?
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this I hear about CIC Video being 'history'??

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CIC video???

------------------
Right, cheers, thanks a lot-Patsy Stone "Ab-Fab"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The company that produces the video tape versions of the episodes for Europe.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

JEM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This had better not be true!

DS9 5.8 (Badda bing... and Inter Arma..) and Voyager 5.8 (Dark Frontier) were due out in the UK on July 19th according to TGL but they didn't show. However last week my local branch of HMV was taking advance bookings for the CIC video of Dark Frontier which was due for release today (August 2nd). The inset sleeve also had a handy list of projected release dates, unfortunately the only one can remember is 'What You Leave Behind' and 'Equinox' scheduled for December 28th.

What I'm guessing is that the tapes were due on the 19th but some contractual problem put them on hold. It may have something to do with the fact that SKY TV are showing the Dark Frontier tonight and may have a contract forbidding the prior release of the video. However I'm only speculating.

Either way I suspect that the non-appearence of the tapes two weeks ago has caused the rumour of CIC pulling out.

IP: Logged
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I'm concerned, CIC can go staight to Sto-Vo-Kor,
*Frank of Harry Enfield voice*
BUT...if CIC was to buy the farm before releasing 'What you leave behind', I'd walk to CIC buildings, grab the CEO, give 'im a slap and say

"Oi, CEO, NOOOOO! You may have brought countless hours of entertainment to those less priveledged that do not receive Sky, and to those sickened by Auntie Beeb screwing around with the schedules, but I do not appreciate you cutting corners to facilitate your corporate greed!! So get down the lab, and start photocopying sleeves!"

*End Frank's rant*

I'm not so sure about Sky holding CIC to any contract. After all, last summer had Sky showing some of VOY's Season 4 eps a good few weeks before CIC released them. Oddly though, VOY Season 4 wasn't shown directly after DS9's Season 6, as per usual. This MAY have been to allow CIC to get a few more videos out before 'Scorpion, Part II', therefore giving CIC exclusivity to the first half of season 4, and Sky the rest.
Sounds cushy, doesn't it? The same arrangment might not have been hammered out this year, and CIC might be holding back to let Sky show 'Dark Frontier' first.

A gentleman's agreement, perchance? I'd have to say so, as any hidden written agreement like that may be deemed suspect by the Monopolies and Mergers Commission (OK, it's a stretch, but you never know).

Men In Power, and their Ivory Towers?

Of couse, it could just be a coincidence that CIC had a blip in their release timetables, and that Sky plan to show Dark Frotier very soon indeed.

I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen all the time. But I don't trust coincidences.
[That's someone's signature, I know. Due deference paid]

------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 and VOY cassettes finally got released yesterday after two weeks of waiting. Anyway, I've seen the DS9 but not Voyager because it seems that everyone wants to see Dark Frontier, but can't be bothered with IAESL and Badda Bing.......

I tried loads of stores to get hold of Dark Frontier, but to no avail. I'll hopefully get to see it on Wednesday.

------------------
Do business with us, or we'll ruin you.

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited August 03, 1999).]

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reserved my copy of Dark Frontier
I'm going to buy it now, and see it in about an hour

------------------

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You just had to rub it in didn't you?

So a question everyone, will it be worth the wait or am I just running around like a headless chicken for nothing?

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Back from the store!!
Let's see if it is worth it

Me? Rubbing it in?? Why did you think that??
*evil grin*

------------------

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited August 03, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dark Frontier? Well, I was more than a little unhappy with some aspects of the portrayal of the Borg, but it was an enjoyable episode.

------------------
"Have you ever seen a bloody egg? Glass in hand, laying up in bed?"
--
They Might Be Giants

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any highly reliable sources for CIC's death/demise/demotion?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

I haven't heard any rumours apart from in here, but I hope they're true because as of 9pm tonight, Satellite and Cable TV will be an episode ahead of the video releases, and since I don't have satellite or cable, I'm just going have to pull my hair out until they release the next cassettes.

I think there's something seriously wrong because as I see it, it would make more sense for CIC to release the episodes before they're screened on TV because they would get more revenues that way. The management need their heads reading.

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CIC release the videos over here in Australia as well. VOY 5.8 and DS9 7.8 are the latest releases. We get one tape per show per month. The sleeves have been pretty dodgy quality this season.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

JEM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this just gets better and better.

The CIC release date for Voyager 5.9 and DS9 7.9 is September 6th. Since they seem to have reverted to a 4/5 week gap and they always appear on a Monday, I'm guessing that the subsequent tapes will be out on Oct. 4th, Nov. 1st, Nov. 29th and December 27th (which is a bank holiday so it'll appear on 28th). Naturally it would help if I knew how to contact them, a website would be nice (oddly enough they have a registered domain name with nothing on it).

In the meantime, Sky TV have announced that they will be showing the 'new' (7 I guess?)series of DS9 starting Sep. 20th. As they will probably take Voyager off to make room we'll get to see 'Think Tank', 'Juggernault' and 'Someone to Watch Over Me' and then loose the series just before 11:59 and 'Relativity'.

I still think it's a contractual matter, Sky can't show 'the whole series' of either until they've been released on video. Still; it's only four month to wait!

------------------
Cogito Ergo Sum (I think, therefore I am not a politician) - Rene Descartes

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps