Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Vulcans & UFP Starfleet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vulcans & UFP Starfleet
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking in the shower this morning (as one is wont to do) about that annoying line of Spock being the first Vulcan in Starfleet. Now, we've always interpreted it to mean that he was the first ever...but no Vulcans until the 2250s? And then all of a sudden there's enough to crew Intrepid? Weird.

But think about this: what if it could be interpreted to mean that Spock was the first Vulcan to JOIN UFP Starfleet?

Follow the line here.

It's more than reasonable to infer that Earth Starfleet becomes the primary foundational basis for UFP Starfleet. We know that T'Pol is not the first person to work with Earth Starfleet, although she is the one with the longest assignment. It's not unreasonable to infer that with the founding of the UFP, every member race has personnel attached to the new UFP Starfleet; otherwise, who would compose the thing?

Now, let's say T'Pol is in her forties or fifties; it's enough of an age to make her rigid in Vulcan ways, yet young enough to make her flexible to human influences. This could mean she's alive until the beginning of the 24th century. Assume that this is about the average age of the Vulcan delegation to the new UFP Starfleet.

We now have a foundational groups of..well, let's call it an even 1000 Vulcans to staff this new organization with. Given the length of Vulcan lifespans, it then doesn't become unreasonable that there isn't a new infusion of personnel from that planet until Spock comes along in the 2240s and 50s. He's the leading tide of a new generation of Vulcans, the second to have been born & grown up with the Federation around (remember, Sarek was born in 2165), & they're naturally curious & wish to be part of this organization. Up till then, the only Vulcans you found in UFP Starfleet were "foundational Vulcans," those who'd been there since day one, & who are, upon Spock's Academy graduation, on average 120 to 150 years old.

I think it works.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did we ever find where that line came from? i only remember it from non-canon sources
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was discussing that theory a bit with Masao via e-mail a few weeks ago. I thought that the line was in "Whom Gods Destroy," but it's not there.

Also, don't forget the 430 Vulcans that were aboard the USS Intrepid in TOS season two (c.f. "The Immunity Syndrome")... which definitely suggests that there were a reasonable number of Vulcans in the fleet, even if there were overwhelming numbers of Humans.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, but I took them into account with the foundtaional group. Still, 1000...alright, let's up that base figure to 3000.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After searching through Eric's Excruciatingly Detailed Star Trek (TOS) Plot Summaries, I can find no mention of Spock being the first Vulcan in Starfleet.
I think this is either just one of those fandom myths, something Roddingberry mentioned or something out of TAS.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC it was something Roddenberry said, perhaps it was in the series bible. (Check Whitfield's The Making of Star Trek.) It's not from TAS.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah. i'm just fine with that being an erroneous assumption based on the series bible. requires a lot less explanation.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't in the bible either. It's fan-myth, sillies.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first TOS drafts also say Spock is a red demonic Martian.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite TOS course correction is...well, I forget where it is from. An early episode, to say the least. McCoy and Spock are in sickbay, and Spock says something, and McCoy tosses back a witty rejoinder, which he follows up with "Maybe that's why your people were conquered." The heck? The tone of the scene seems to imply that it was humans who did the conquering. I always enjoy that scene, because otherwise everything is more or less spot on as far as what later becomes canonical Trek.

Maybe you had to be there.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you. Now I can never, ever sleep again. At least until I remember what episode that was.

Er, it wasn't crazy mental patient one, was it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dagger of the Mind"? I think you might be right.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was "The Conscience of the King".

McCoy: "Would you care for a drink, Mr. Spock?"

Spock: "My father's race was spared the dubious benefits of alcohol."

McCoy: "Oh. Now I know why they were conquered."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's just call it a McCoyism and leave it at that.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or in hindsight, a possible reference to the 100 years Romulan/Vulcan war. But then would McCoy even be aware of that?

It's possible that Vulcan was conquered by another race who later decided to leave, were later driven off or who's empire collapsed. Similar in a way to what happened to most european countries when thr Roman Empire fell or indeed the Cardassian/Bajorian situation.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps