Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS vs. TNG Klingons (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TOS vs. TNG Klingons
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, as I said before - how likely is it that this 'Battle Class' of Klingons began to dominate the entire population!?! I.e. everyone's offspring now have ridges from birth!?!

It has to be a. something potentially embarrasing (probably more-so to a klingon) b. something that allows a group of klingons to not have ridges between (at least) the dates of 2265 and 2270.

Fashion or a fad would fit this category.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
But, as I said before - how likely is it that this 'Battle Class' of Klingons began to dominate the entire population!?! I.e. everyone's offspring now have ridges from birth!?!

Ever hear of genocide? Deliberate germline engineering of all children for a few years? A gene-altering nanovirus released by the battle class to eliminate the weakling naturals? If the battle class was designed to revere Kahless (perhaps to keep their berserker rage in check), their guilt over having perpetuated any of these honorless crimes could lead to TNG Klingons not wanting to talk about it.

Irrelevent, in light of Enterprise.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all rather irrelevant simply because there is no satisfactory answer to this and I'd bet good money that the powers that be wouldn't touch one with a 50ft barge pole.
Indeed the attitude shown in T&T show just how seriously this is taken.
It's not like Trek has an otherwise spotless record when it comes to continuity.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we should start calling the TOS Klingons 'Super-Soldiers?' 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it was a joke there Vogon - but the whole thing is the TOS Klingons are the SAME as the TNG era Klingons - cause of Kang, Kor and Koloth.

Thus what would change the appearance of these Klingons and their crew for around 5 years that is embarrasing to the klingons and wasn't widely known about.

I'm sticking with fashion...

Look at what McCoy wears in TMP! LOL! Gold Medallions and wide lapels! [Smile]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is far different than if he had, say, sawn off his nose.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but boy would his face be spited!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well what if McCoy had MAJOR plastic surgery - that would be more like it.

I'm surmising that the ridges can be just sanded down.

Or maybe they just wore wigs over the ridges!?! [Smile]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many of your bones have you "sanded down"?

Actually, it's somewhat interesting to note that, despite their no-pain-no-gain ethos, Klingons don't seem to be very big on the sorts of ritualistic body modifications we might expect. They don't even appear to have tattoos.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the ridges were worn down by excessive headbutting competitions?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well what if McCoy had MAJOR plastic surgery - that would be more like it."

So, basically, you're saying that head-filing is the Klingon equivalent of breast implants, and the entire planet decided to pull a Pamela Anderson all at once.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either that, or they all became members of the WWE.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well it mightn't be as drastica a procedure as plastic surgery - it might be like cutting hair to us.

Hair might be a better analogy

Just because you see a bunch of red-necks with Mullets doesn't mean we all have them.

Ridge-shaving might have been a Klingon Military stipulation or just some fad at the time!?!

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the Klingon ridges tend to be along what in Earth anatomy is the sagittal crest (the ridge of bone along the midline of the top of the skull), which serves for the attachment of the temporalis muscle (which works the mandible), it'd be pretty stupid to "sand down" said ridges. Well, unless you want to reconnect the muscles to bone, or you don't mind not chewing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How many of your bones have you "sanded down"?
They're Klingons, we're not. We're not supposed to act exactly alike.

quote:
Actually, it's somewhat interesting to note that, despite their no-pain-no-gain ethos, Klingons don't seem to be very big on the sorts of ritualistic body modifications we might expect. They don't even appear to have tattoos.
They don't *appear* to have tattoos, but I know some Humans who have tattoos in not-so-visible places. [Big Grin]

quote:
Since the Klingon ridges tend to be along what in Earth anatomy is the sagittal crest (the ridge of bone along the midline of the top of the skull), which serves for the attachment of the temporalis muscle (which works the mandible), it'd be pretty stupid to "sand down" said ridges.
Are we forgetting here that Klingons are NOT Humans? They're alien, remember? They have vastly different physiology than us, as McCoy and Crusher have complained about frequently.

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps