Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Box-office Nemesis NO SPOILERS!!!!!!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Box-office Nemesis NO SPOILERS!!!!!!!!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK please no body add ANY spoilers in this thread - this is a spoiler free zone.

I just saw on E! News daily - well yesterday that the new J-Lo pic slightly beat Nemesis at the box-office!! WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING!?! That's terrible! [Smile]

I'm guessing that is just opening weekend stuff? or is that for the whole week - I'm guessing weekend.

Get out there and see it again and again. Why does Australia have to wait until Jan 16 - that's DISGUSTING.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, see, I *would* have gone to see it, but they weren't showing it at the only nearby theater for me, and being without affordable or convenient motorized transportation I wasn't going to go to extraordinary ends just to hand over my $8 a few days early.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have exams!!!!

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuses, excuses. I saw Nemesis Saturday afternoon while coughing, congested, and running a temperature with a sore throat thrown in for the hell of it. I did my part. And I'll do it again (probably Thursday or sometime next week).
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Excuses, excuses.

I share your sentiment, Siegfried. My brother returned from college on December 13. I had not seen him in four months, but the first thing we did was see "Star Trek: Nemesis." Had the rest of you done your part perhaps the film would have had a more respectable opening.

I have a (bad) feeling "Star Trek: Nemesis" will be the lowest grossing Star Trek film since "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier." Hell, maybe it will not even earn that film's domestic gross. I guess it really will be the last "Next Generation" movie.

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's depressing, that's for sure. But at least I enjoyed Nemesis... it could have been much worse.

Hell, maybe this will actually be a sign to Paramount and force them to get some fresh blood in the creative department and actually invest money in advertising the next time around.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'll be seeing it ASAP.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was planning on seeing it on Friday, but..incarceration, inability to get home, & then work. MAYBE on this Friday. Maybe.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rotten Tomatoes, a site dedicated towards the collection and dissemination of movie reviews, listed the following tabulations for both Nemesis and The Two Towers.

Nemesis
Total Number of Reviews: 104
Fresh: 45
Rotten: 59
Rating: 43% rotten

The Two Towers
Total Number of Reviews: 73
Fresh: 72
Rotten: 1
Rating: 99% fresh

I don't have an adequate explanation for why Two Towers had less reviewers than Nemesis. Anyhow, this shows that critics don't have a thing against sci-fi/fantasy. They are looking, as well as the general audience, for a quality film.

If the critics are proven correct in their opinions on the TTT, Nemesis will fade as word of mouth spreads and people will want to see this other film. As a criticism of Paramount, I have been asking myself this queston, "Why did Paramount release this film five days before TTT?" I don't have the answer, but I feel from reading opinions here and elsewhere by fans Nemesis will be the first even film cursed by low returns.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they released Nemesis before TTT in the US, then why is TTT coming out over here so long before nemesis? (TTT came out today, Nemesis is coming in Jan)

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are more non-trek movie goers then there are rabid trek fans. Hell, even Waterworld made a profit (eventually), so don't lose heart. Paramount knows how to market Trek pretty well, so they don't really even try to market to the general audiance. I noticed that the previes where pretty much marketed to fans, like the line about it being the final voyage of a Generation.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange thing I never even saw a trailer for Nemesis in the cinema!

Anyway, I don't think TTT will pose much of a problem for Nemesis here in Germany. The release date has even been pushed back from 2 January to 16 January as in Australia. So no hard feelings, dear friends from down under - we are united in our plight.... ;-)

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the film TTT. Many in the cinema liked the film and some were applauding at the end. Did people applaud at the end of Nemesis?
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newark:
Did people applaud at the end of Nemesis?

Not in the cinema where I saw the film.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They applauded at the end of Nemesis where I saw it. So some have enjoyed it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps