Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$ Data's Emotion Chip in "Nemesis" [Spoilers]

Author Topic: $$ Data's Emotion Chip in "Nemesis" [Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to an extract from a TrekWeb.com interview:

"There was a scene that was cut from the movie after Data is� gone, shall we say. Worf and Geordi go into his room and Spot the cat is there. Worf ends up taking the cat and Geordi finds the emotion chip and keeps it."

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worf + cat = no.

Data was decidedly low-key in the film, but I didn't get the impression that he was necessarily emotionless.

I think it was generally considered a mistake to give him the chip in the first place, at least by TPTB. He turns it off at will in First Contact, and it's more or less forgotten about in Insurrection. "He didn't take it with him." What kind of emotions are they if you can just shut them off? Of course, I suppose Insurrection did set a precedent for Data removing the chip before going into a situation where it might prove a hindrance. But (and there were spoiler warnings up there, so consider yourself warned) I would think that Data, who wanted to experience human life as fully as possible, would want to experience the end of life fully too.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always hated the emotion chip. It was a stupid idea. What I liked about Data at first was that he seemed very human in many ways, but he seemed to have convinced himself that he wasn't human. What I had looked forward to would be his gradual evolution to finding he had feelings, but perhaps just didn't recognize what they were or how to access them. Making an "accessory" out of his ability to feel was a cheap gimmick that hurt the character.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be that Data simply achieved his goal of understanding humanity, decided emotions weren't all they were cracked up to be, and put the chip in storage until he felt like being "human" again.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Worf + cat = no.

Worf + cat= delicious Klingon dish served up to the senior staff...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured Data had kept the Emotion Chip installed, but had learned to control his emotions much like a human does. Showing even more his evolution into becoming a human.
So with the emotion chip in his head, no emotion chip for B4. Unless they want to sift through the debris field of the Scimitar and find it floating on Data's severed head. (I think to pull this off he would have to have a smile on his face.)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps