Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » DS9 DVD menus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DS9 DVD menus
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK could the CGI DS9 in the background be any WORSE!?! It's completely CRAPOLA. I've seen better on the 'net.

That's REALLY REALLY *REALLY* slack.

(the Cardassian menu is nice though)

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=3&articleId=5113

Maybe it is a joke!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... yes...that CGI blows. They'd have been better off just using a screencap. And come on... that layout is just bloody uncreative. I don't get these people who do these interfaces... they have all this cool technology... and yet... bad designers get the jobs... Grrrrr...

The Cardassian overlay menu is the coolest of those screen caps... but still... the whole thing should be better. Half the people here could design better menus than those.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who cares about menus anyway? I'd much rather have a standardized interface for all DVDs. Most of them are okay, but some menu designs are packed with annoying useless things. The worst menu is the one on U-251. It uses green and dark red, and for a colorblind person like me, it is utterly useless.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star Wars Ep 2 interface is probably the coolest I've seen. Yah, it's kind of complicated... but there's hella lotta stuff on those two disks. The menu for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was way cool, too.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on the CG isnt completely horrible, at least you can tell what it is. Hopefully the region 1 discs will have diffrent menus.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about that. I do know that if the DS9 discs are anything like the TNG ones, the menu will change every season, and get cooler each time. (Well, at least up through season three. After that, my money runs out.)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What gets me is that they settle for such obvious crap quality when there are on a quick search people on the net who do absolutely fantastic, and realistic renderings. How hard, then is it for them to find someone to do the same? I mean hello - Mojo could do it for crying out loud!!

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure he greatly appreciates being the first person you think of when you think of an artist who has nothing else to do and no prospects whatsoever.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Shuddup. I meant that Mojo probably already has the models to use - quick smart. And he's sitting right under their noses. Or anyone from Digital Muse, Foundation etc who did the CGI for DS9. It'd be more expensive - but if they were desparate (which it appears they are not - guessing that fans are going to buy the product reguardless of it's quality) they could get Image G to drag out the old Model and do a few passes.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Overreact much?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhh...why would they spend a lot of money to make TV-quality cgi for the DVD MENUS??? C'mon, seriously. That's such a lame thing to complain about.

I'd much rather see them spend money on production featurettes and stuff than have really nice menus. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

If I spend that kind of money on a DVD collection, the whole friggin thing had better be cool. Lazy design just hits a sore spot with me. Especially when it costs a crap load of money. Spend the cash.. invest the time... make a superior product.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put the DS9 DVD set on layaway at FutureShop today (great deal, BTW. Marked down from $169 to $121) and in case anyone was wondering why the covers looked so funky, its because its a cutaway view of the station. I didn't notice until I looked really close but you can see the outline of the station's exterior features.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.
DVD Season set prices seem to be going higher and higher. I used to remember when both the X-Files and TNG season sets were like....less than a hundred dollars. Of course I still didn't buy them, because I'm cheap....but still.

Ah well, I can thank my lucky stars that B5 and SG-1 season sets are like $80, $60 dollars respectively. And soon....the Futurama season sets will be out at like $30 [Smile]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought my DS9 DVD set the day it came out for $95 at Sam Good....in a mall no less!
I would'nt pay more than that for any of the Trek sets: shop around some.
THe animated intro is mabye 15 seconds long and it looks just fine to me.
It's only 15 seconds people!
After that the episode selection is on a "shattered screen" cardassian panel. Quite nice actually. Even has the sound effect when a selection is made.
...and of course I'm buting it for the episodes not the intro.
The Episodes are great and I've watched the whole season in the five days I've had mine.
I'd forgotten how green Bashir was...and how O'Brien and Sisko sometimes had a quick temper with his niavate.
...and what a scheming bitch Kira could sometimes be....until Sisko really chewed her for going over his head.
....and Keiko hated the place.
....and of course Vedik Wynn.

I refuse to put any spoilers on this minor rant: the episodes are a decade old. If you missed them-tough titty. [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps