Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Next Series Setting... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Next Series Setting...
KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am making a list of all the options for what the next series could be about. These are ideas that I have read all over the Internet.

1. Another exploration series just like ST:TNG.
2. The voyages of the Enterprise-B.
3. The voyages of the Excelcior.
4. Flight Academy- who knows. Maybe the cadets are just reacurring characters and it is really about the professors.
5. A shipbuilding facility- we would get to see knew ships built.
6. A starbase.
7. If Picard really does die in the next movie, maybe the rest of the crew could do a series. I would be cheaper without Picard.
8. A series from the viewpoint of another race.

What do you think Berman will come up with. I have heard the series could be out Fall 2000, but most likely Fall 2001, but maybe even Fall 2002.

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Derek Wry posted August 11, 1999 on the TrekWeb Message Board that the new series IS in fact going to be a "Starfleet Academy" show (only it will be called something different) and will begin next season [in the year 2000] for a one year overlap with Voyager.

A few hours after this post, Dangermouse, well-known internet spoiler provider, posted the following to the alt.tv.star-trek.voyager newsgroup:

I find this difficult to believe, considering the number of times Rick Berman has said "no it will never happen", but according to the memos floating around there will be an Academy series running alongside Voyager season 7 (though it won't be called Starfleet Academy)... However, given the amount of deliberate, leak-hunting misinformation put about from the office, I'd believe this when I see it.

Do with it what you want. I agree with Dangermouse, I only believe it when I see it.

I'd like to see your #5, with lots of new ships or a special taskforce with multiple ships (Defiant and Prometheus class preferred).

------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited August 13, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I actually trust Braga. If he says no Starfleet Academy, I'd believe him...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye, that's what Braga said. The reaction to the rumor was bad enough. I don't think they'll try a series based around the academy.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an idea I had. How about something involving a small group of ships on a long range exploration mission (Gamma Q.?)? They could split up and explore a large area of space, and meet up occasionally. You could concentrate on one crew one week, and another the next, or just the crew of the vessel to which Starfleet gave superiority, with recurring characters onboard the other ships. Similar to Voyager, in that they're a long way from home, and must solve problems on their own, but they can still get back relatively quickly, and aren't totally alone.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know...

People seem to like starships. But assuming the show starts within a year or two, it seems too soon to have another Enterprise. And frankly two starship shows at the same time would be quite dull, in my opinion.

Personally, I'd like to see one of two things. If there must be a series created immediately, let's stick to the 24th century Alpha Quadrant. There's still stuff to see and do there. However, if they're willing to wait, I'd like to see something...different. No, I'm not sure what.

------------------
"Hey Mr. Boo, fly away home. Your house is so lovely, your children so nice."
--
Hello (The Band)

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*returns*

So much to do? Absolutely. I'd say at least 1% of the dead horse remains unflogged. . .

------------------
"Wait a minute - this isn't the Monsterometer, it's the Frog Exaggerator!"

- Professor Frink

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a series like DS9 (continuing stories, in a new -- but familiar -- part of space), there's stuff to do. If it's a TNG-like series, the horse has been significantly flogged indeed.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still say a 24th century Indiana Jones would be the best way to go. Ditch the Starfleet, I am higher than thou, and let us again see the more exotic part of the galaxy. Of course Starfleet principles and beliefs would always be present in our heroes mind, but unlike Starfleet officers he would have the ability to bend to rules far more.

Input people?

------------------
hello world

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't mind seeing a show with Vash

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan
www.pyros.org

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really think they should hold out on another series at least until Voyager has ended. It would be even better if they waited a year or so afterward. The franchise seems exhausted at the moment and needs time to catch its breath.

The Starfleet Academy idea is a disaster waiting to happen. I don't want to see Trek die...

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

Mycon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like bears idea. I'd be quite interesting to see more of the interior life of the Federation. But I'm not sure it would stay interesting for several seasons. I still hope for a series based in the alpha quadrant in the year 2410. The first let's say 10 episodes (or even the whole first season) would focus on the historical developments in the last 25 years. This would be challenging for the authors, and there are a lot of difficulties, but I think the new series must start with something new to give trek a serios boost. IMO the fifth series need to go completely new ways. Another starship show based in the same timeframe as voy and ds9 is quite negligible.

------------------
Mycon

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Do YOU wanna be the guy to try to pitch a Star Trek: The Waltons to Berman and Braga?

------------------
"Wait a minute - this isn't the Monsterometer, it's the Frog Exaggerator!"

- Professor Frink

Mycon
Ex-Member

Waltons? Never heard of that.

------------------
Mycon

jh
Ex-Member

Why does all of this sound so much like the discussion everyone was having when they were trying to think of ways to keep B5 afloat? They came up with crusade, which is pretty much every idea I've seen here but with simply established backstory. I've only seen a few episodes but I understand it pretty much blows in comparison to the original series. Nothing really new to it, only the aforementioned back story. Why bother?

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps