Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Random Thoughts on How Starfleet/Federation Operates (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Random Thoughts on How Starfleet/Federation Operates
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which then requires a theory d, namely

d) Excelsior IIs were for some reason operated in regions / at times that did not coincide with those of our hero ships.

Perhaps these vessels were not used for ferrying admirals for some reason or another, so none were seen in TNG. But inventing reasons for their absence from DS9 is harder. I'd be ready to fall back on a, b or c here. The Excelsior II variant might have been used solely in a special role that did not require great numbers - say, as command ships in big battles (so when we saw the fighting Excelsiors at the front lines, we were turning our backs to the commanding Excelsiors further back).

Generally, DS9 was the first time we saw large numbers of ships at one glance, and thus the first time we could (and had to) make conclusions on the prevalence of certain ship types in the fleet. The absence of Excelsior IIs and Ambassadors is statistically significant enough to require an explanation. So is that of Belknaps or Rigels or other ship types of varying degrees of "unreality". Questions like "If the Larson class refit exists, why did it not fight alongside the Miranda class there?" are perfectly valid.

Timo Saloniemi

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snay:
* Where Excelsior I refers to ships matching the exterior design of the Excelsior, and Excelsior II refers to ships matching the exterior design of Enterprise-B.

Wouldn't "B-type" be superior nomenclature for the Enterprise-B Excelsior variant? Given that we've seen such terminology employed previously (for the D'Deridex in "The Defector"[TNG]), it not only has firmer canon backing, but is also pretty convenient, what with both being "B" and all.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's probably an acceptable compromise, though not terribly popular. We often hear of stuff like "Type-III Variant" to describe stuff like the USS Saratoga in "Emissary". Didn't the semi-canon Encyclopedia use something like that?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Didn't the semi-canon Encyclopedia use something like that?

No. But it sounds more reasonable than calling it "Prospero-class" or something.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
No. But it sounds more reasonable than calling it "Prospero-class" or something.

Says you.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Enterprise B was meant to be the "explorer varient" of the Excelsior class, then it seems to me likely that that version suffered higher losses than the rest of the fleet, considering the higher risks involved in such missions.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've always said that the reason we so rarely see Ambassador-class ships on the show is because they're out there, exploring. Most of them could easily be a year or two away from Federation space and thus wouldn't be available to show up at all in the Dominion War.

This could just as easily apply to the Explorer-variAnt Excelsiors and other Explorers. The Galaxies are an exception to this rule, but that would lead to the continuing debate as to just how effectinve that class was as an explorer in the first place...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hope that was the case. I always have been someone of a proponent (to myself) of bringing back the Ambassadors during DS9 or beyond, like, 1993. They would have been one of the most ideal ships to send to the Gamma Quadrant, but we never saw one. Either, yes, they were on deep space assignments, or they were all destroyed in the initial battle the original 7th (??) fleet from 'A time to stand'...or they were all on the front lines in other parts of the Federation. Either way, TPTB really wasted the opportunity to use that class, and instead saturated us with the same three classes (Galaxy, Excelsior, Miranda) over and over and over and over.....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps