Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek Goes Public Domain!

Author Topic: Star Trek Goes Public Domain!
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had to repost this. Brace yourselves:
-----

In only a few days time, Star Trek's Executive Producer Rick Berman will declare that Star Trek has entered the public domain. This decision was made after unsettling reactions to its most recent installment, "Enterprise."

"We've been looking at the success of open-source software like Linux for some years now, and decided to go along with this unprecedented move in order to ensure a proper continuation of the show, just the way Roddenberry would've wanted it."

Berman noted that all of the production materials and movie footage will be donated to the Library of Congress, from where it will be distributed to fans at impossibly low prices. Users will be able to access things like Rick Sternbach's blueprints and Foundation Imaging CG models online at a nominal price.

"Like everybody else, Paramount will still continue to develop the show, but it is hoped that, now that the show is in public domain, a group of independent fans will manage to restore the show to its former glory. We will, of course, try our best to stay competitive," said Brannon Braga, the creative head of "Enterprise."

An old fandom artist, who wanted to remain anonymous until the official annoucement has been made, reportedly kept jumping up and down for about ten minutes. "I cannot tell you how happy I am, " said the artist, "This is the moment we've been waiting for since 1975. I will finally be able to make money off my blueprints legally."

The more vocal group of "canon-heads" now have a conceputal problem to solve. "Since the fans are the ones that decide what is and what isn't canon, just about any question can now be resolved with polls. How big is the Defiant? The majority rules."

Another, "since September 8" fan said just this: "Landru is dead."

Boris

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, it might help if it wasn't such a blatant April Fools joke (and, er, if today wasn't April First [Big Grin] )

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad, had me scratching my head there for a second.

It was the Defiant reference that gave it away.

BTW, who's Landru?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, ok, it's a blatant joke. I still think it wouldn't look that bad in The Onion, though.

Landru was the leader of the planet from "Return of the Archons." He died and left behind a computer to simulate his presence and control the population, but the population stagnated until Kirk came in and made it self-destruct. Just one of the myriad "expulsion from paradise" TOS shows.

Boris

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Porthos has also taken it upon himself to suggest multiple storylines to the writers, most of which, according to one source, "suck."

Whole story can be found HERE.

When I read that one line I almost threw up laughing.

edited by Saltah'na to fix link

[ April 03, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one is great, too:

quote:
A recent study by sociologists has concluded that many of the events depicted on the popular TV show Star Trek are in fact just made up and have not transpired. In fact, the study goes on to conclude, the events are unlikely to ever happen. Proof came in the form of correlation and reconciliation of events portrayed on the show, and reality.
LOL! [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Styrofoaman:
quote:

Porthos has also taken it upon himself to suggest multiple storylines to the writers, most of which, according to one source, "suck."

Whole story can be found HERE.

When I read that one line I almost threw up laughing.

Wait a second... Are they implying that Porthos's stories suck or the writers suck? [Confused]

[Big Grin]

edited again by Saltah'na

[ April 03, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I Omegalike in terms of taste if I found the startrek.com tribble interview mildly amusing?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Boris
Member # 713

BTW, you know that I wrote the article I "reposted"? Just checking.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The interview with Pike! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An old fandom artist, who wanted to remain anonymous until the official annoucement has been made, reportedly kept jumping up and down for about ten minutes. "I cannot tell you how happy I am, " said the artist, "This is the moment we've been waiting for since 1975. I will finally be able to make money off my blueprints legally."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not old. I'm 'seasoned'.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps