Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS Federation members (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TOS Federation members
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...two for tuesday double post...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fleet Captain Garth was a human and it was never explained where the Izar became incorporated into the story (according to the Encyclopedia). He was badly injured and was able to recover with help of the inhabitants of Antos IV who also taugh him the art of cellular metamorphosis. None the less, he was still human, a mentally insane one for that matter, so I'm not sure how the impression that Izar is a Federation world. For that matter it could easily be a colony or another case similar to the "Zephram Cochrane of Alpha Centari" who wasnt/isnt from Alpha Centari.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Izar the site of some battle or other that he was famous for winning? I may have that completely wrong or it was from a fan source or something but it makes as much sense as anything.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garth of Izar is famous for the Battle of/at Axanar (I forget which).
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yeah, that was it. [Razz] [Smile]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if he's human, and he's "of Izar", the easiest presumption is that there's a Terran colony in orbit of Epsilon Boötis.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Ah yes, the infamous "booty planet"! [Wink]

Its just identified as "the historic victory at Axanar in the 2250's that helped preserve the Federation"...

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha, right. There was also some allusions to the fact that the winning of this battle enabled Kirk and Spock to be in the same service on the same ship working together. I think fandom has a big story on this, something about Axanar and the Vulcans threatening to secede from the UFP or something.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Yeah that episode ("Whom Gods Destroy") really screwed with things by introducing a lot of unexplained events and left a lot of BIG unanswered questions.

1) The above incident that Topher mentioned.

2) The ultimate bunker buster...the incident at Tau Ceti where the Enterprise used the "Cochrane deceleration maneuver" to defeat the Romulans.

Which the encyclopedia suggests might be the incident in "Balance of Terror", if so then this may explain how far Earth is from the Neutral Zone
as Tau Ceti is 8 l/y (!!!) from Earth.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought we had a big ole thread here a while back where we worked out that Zephram Cochrane could easily be from Alpha Centauri?

Basically - pre-warp ships were around before 2063 and a few colonies had been set up - or maybe just Alpha Centauri...

Cochrane was caught on Earth when WWIII approached.

There maybe have been the beginnings of Mars colonies - but I think that was later wasn't it?

How would Zee have made money from a Warp Drive? Quicker times between Earth and it's colony(ies)!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick reminder from TOS canon.

There are indeed several planets peopled by humans. They were transplanted by 'The Preservers'.

This probably explains Miri's Planet, Bread & Circuses, etc.

It does not explain species which look a lot like us but have extraordinary capabilities. Such as Plato's Stepchildren.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though in that specific instant the magic powers were caused by a compound found on the planet, and wasn't something the people were born with.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come to think of it, Miri's planet was a complete duplicate of Earth, so I doubt that humans got there simply by aliens having scooped up some out of the way village one night. Some serious engineering was involved there.

Though Spock seemed to think it was perfectly natural.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Development or something like that he says...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Hodgkins' Law of Parallel Planet Development:
Sociological theory postulating that similar planets with similar populations and similiar environments will evolve in similar ways ("Bread and Circuses"}

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps